made a quick label for my best brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinbrewer

Reaction score
after giving my neighbor a sample of my beer, he offered me 100 dollars for 125 12 oz bottles of my Comet Ale (My best tasting beer)

so i quickly went about making up a label and printed them off, so without furthur ado, this is what it looks like:

cometale.jpg

If you have already printed then this doesnt matter, however I would try to give the lettering less outerglow. If you still want that look, try applying a gradient to the lettering instead.

I think it looks good! The label really jumps out at you. The lettering is somewhat diminished, but readable, and emphasizes the streaks of light (is it a comet, or a nova?)

terrapinbrewer said:
after giving my neighbor a sample of my beer, he offered me 100 dollars for 125 12 oz bottles of my Comet Ale (My best tasting beer)

so i quickly went about making up a label and printed them off, so without furthur ado, this is what it looks like:

cometale.jpg

what a cheap mf'er 125 beers for 100 dollars. I hope you took it as an insult.

The label is cool.

bigjohnmilford said:
what a cheap mf'er 125 beers for 100 dollars. I hope you took it as an insult.

Isn't that the truth... Heck, let's assume the OP brews extract beers. A batch will cost around $25-30, let's take the middle $27.50. You'll need 2.5 batches to fulfill his 'order'. That's $69 just for the ingredients if the OP brews extract (rough estimate). Not offering you much for the time and effort its going to take to brew it, bottle it, label it.

The only way I can see this as worth it is if you brew AG which would cut your costs in half and if you can brew 12.5g at once. Otherwise you are reallllll cheap labor...

Forgot to mention - label looks alright. I second what the others said on the text being kind of hidden in the blazing light of that comet!

EDIT: I saw you do brew extract w/ steeping grains, so my assumption was right. You are getting ripped for your time and efforts! And you probably aren't brewing more than 5g batches, so you'll need to brew 3x to satisfy this guy. That's $10 per time brewing or probably $2.50 per hour. :)

Just to get your wheels turning though. Let's assume you went AG, you could probably brew up a haus-ale for about $15, maybe $17.50, with hop shortage (for 5g). Let's assume you could brew 10g batches as well, so you save some cost on your yeast, etc. Anyway, so you could brew a 10g batch for $30. You could 'gift' him 100 beers for $100 deposit and make $70 for your work on brew-day. :) Not too shabby.

The deal you are offered now though, seems a little low-ball to me. At the very least, I'd say $1 per bottle (100 bottles so you only need ot brew twice), and they aren't getting labels either. Hahaha....

as for the cost of things, im a college kid, hes a college kid, i need money, hes got money, i make this stuff faster than i can drink it and already have what he wants sitting around, it costs me about 23 dollars to do a 5 gallon batch, 5 x $3 for muntons dry extract, 1.50 for specialty grain,$2.50 for 2 oz's of hops, and a dollar for a pack of yeast. i brew 8 - 10 gallons of beer a week (staggered schedule to keep me busy :D) and while i do drink my fair share, id say i only drink about 3 or 4 gallons of it a week, considering i only drink it with meals or to pregame before going to the bar etc

oh and did i say selling them? i meant letting him have some, and hes donating to erm, charity!

on a side note, i just bought a cooler, #2 stopper, copper tubing and 3/8" plastic hose with and a cheap-o spiggot.

i guess you guys know what ill be up to this weekend :mug:

thanks for all the comments guys, keep em coming!

Back