Best cheap beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
Alright looking for the best tasting and aromatic cheap beer out there. I'm sick of drinking crap water on the lake and would like something with flavor. I drink the good stuff back on land but in the boat I like to take out cheap beer. So figured if I can find a decent beer for cheap it will make it more enjoyable thanks for any help guys.

Are you talking commercially available or homebrewed? It really depends on what you consider "cheap" too.

Commercially available - whatever micro is on sale at the time, or whatever micro is close to you that can self distribute/fill growlers.
As you are in PA I would assume that Sam Adams is pretty cheap.

As for homebrew - any 2-row based smash recipe is pretty damn cheap to make; aim for 5% abv, use US-05 yeast, 1oz of high AA or 2 oz of low AA hops.

as for inbev/sabmiller crap it's all pretty much brewed to a price point, and in my opinion it all pretty much sucks, but YMMV

There are also mixed drinks for the boat as well, they are cheap to make and you control the potency, margaritas? cheap and potent.

I'll throw in for the various Trader Joe's offerings, if you have them nearby. Their 22oz Mission Street beers are decent for $2 a pop, and what they have in the 6-packs are better than anything comparable that I've had on the lower end of the price range.

Both well I guess all three lol never thought of doing mixed drinks on the boat always just drank beer

BlackGoat said:
I'll throw in for the various Trader Joe's offerings, if you have them nearby. Their 22oz Mission Street beers are decent for $2 a pop, and what they have in the 6-packs are better than anything comparable that I've had on the lower end of the price range.

Maybe I need to give them another chance but most of the trader joes beers I've had have been pretty bad so if I buy beer there it is from a known brewery, not one of their contract brews that you can only get there. I don't know if I've ever had their mission street so maybe I need to try it. However, I can usually get a $2-3 22oz beer from a known brewery on sale at the local grocery store so I don't really have that much incentive to give the trader joes beers another shot.

It's really hard to beat a fresh budweiser. Lovely mildly fruity aroma. Not too dry and not too heavy.

Of course I can understand why you might not want to.

In PA I'm surprised you're not drinking Yuengling. That was like mother's milk to my friends and I when we were teenagers and needed one of our older cohorts to score us a cheap beer.

It took years of traveling the world in the army to realize that Yuengling is somewhat of a commodity, and not just the cheap beer we always took it for as kids (teens) growing up in PA.

Luckily I live in an area where Yuengling is distributed.

Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale is my go to for just bringing a twelve pack to a party or hanging outside. I can usually score a twelver for $13 or so, plus you can find it about anywhere these days.

Just got back from TN, and I'll throw another vote in for Yuengling. Tried one bottle at my local cigar shop, loved it, and brought back a case from our trip. Will be sad when it's all gone.

BlackGoat said:

+1 on the Mission St. Beers. The Pale ale and IPA in 6ers brewed by Stienhaus Brewery is brewed by Firestone Walker under contract. Decent beer for the price.

I've had mixed luck with TJ beer. Their dunkleweisen tasted like over-sweetened cough syrup. And the Vienna Lager tasted like Imperial Double Over-Sweetened cough syrup.

Their blonde ale is decent, if uninspired. The Mission St. hefe is drinkable.

It's all cheap, though, so that's nice.

I've had mixed luck with TJ beer. Their dunkleweisen tasted like over-sweetened cough syrup. And the Vienna Lager tasted like Imperial Double Over-Sweetened cough syrup.

Their blonde ale is decent, if uninspired. The Mission St. hefe is drinkable.

It's all cheap, though, so that's nice.

Fair assessment, and about what I've experienced. Their bavarian heffe is decent. Mission street heffe is ok, same with the brown. I wouldn't compare any of these to anything we'd call good, but when compared to cheap mass produced stuff at about the same price point I'd take the TJs stuff anyday. I often buy the Mission Street brown just for the bombers, since the labels fall off with a quick hot water soak.

I'd be even more drunk than usual if Yuengling were available in Washington State!
:drunk:

I like buying at Costco out here. 24 packs of Pabst are cheap. They usually have 24 packs of a Deschutes beer for $25. When Jubelale hits the shelves, i usually get four cases right away to have on hand and also to cellar.

Costco's Kirkland variety pack is damn good for the price. $18.00/24. 6 each: amber, pale ale, IPA, German lager.

I would say Yuengling if you want cheap & local!

The Trader Joes I buy a few every week for the 22oz bottles ($2-2.50 per and it's not total crap...) I guess I'd say I prefer the Mission Street Brown above the others. I also mow my neighbors lawn (they're old and their mower is busted) he's always being me over bottles from there, usually the heavy lift something or other - he also gave me some grolsch bottles & an old bench capper (ex brewer)

Costco's Kirkland variety pack is damn good for the price. $18.00/24. 6 each: amber, pale ale, IPA, German lager.

I've yet to see this at Costco here in DFW. Kirkland stuff doesn't disappoint. Cool to know they have beer as well. I wonder who's making it for them. The best I've seen them carry around here is Dogfish 60 min. 24 packs for $35.99 and Rahr sampler cases for $27.99.

Ill have to give yuengling another shot, I use to drink the crap out of it back when I was alil younger and I couldn't stand it after awhile. Maybe with the break I have had with it I can drink it again. Not sure if our coscos sell beer living in the state that you have to buy your beer at a beer distributer but not sure ill have to check it out. Thanks for all te replys and ill be brewing one of those cheap smashes soon for sure

Ill have to give yuengling another shot, I use to drink the crap out of it back when I was alil younger and I couldn't stand it after awhile. Maybe with the break I have had with it I can drink it again. Not sure if our coscos sell beer living in the state that you have to buy your beer at a beer distributer but not sure ill have to check it out. Thanks for all te replys and ill be brewing one of those cheap smashes soon for sure

Kind of what happened to me. While in the Army, I used to always hear Non-Pennsylvania people rave about Yuengling and would think they were crazy for talking up that cheap swill we used to drink as teensagers. After a few tours in Germany and a return to PA on leave I gave it another shot and realized what a delicious beer it really is.

PBR....!!! The beer homebrewers (and craft) drink when they are not drinking theirs!

This... but only because Yuengling isn't distributed in KY...

Hipsters have ruined PBR. The price has gone up. Kroger sells it for $10.49 for a twelve pack. Bud is $10.99. I've found a liquor store that still realizes PBR is PBR and sells thirty packs for $19.99.

+1 to Hamms! I also stop off and grab a 40 oz Natural Ice several times a week. Can't stand the stuff in cans, but love it in bottles.

Being a PA boy, you can never go wrong with Yuingling. However, my vote would be for Lionshead... The riddles give you something extra to do when hammered. I haven't checked the price of it recently, but in college it was $11/case which was always nice.

Being a PA boy, you can never go wrong with Yuingling. However, my vote would be for Lionshead... The riddles give you something extra to do when hammered. I haven't checked the price of it recently, but in college it was $11/case which was always nice.

Shout out to Allentown. Can't wait for X-mas this year. 1st trip up north since '07. I grew up in Palmerton, about 5 miles from Blue Mountain Ski Area. Of course back then it was Little Gap.

I discovered Mission St last year (closest Trader Joe's is 75 miles). The Pale Ale and IPA are both very good considering the price ($6.99 for a sixer) and I get six bottles to boot!

Back