LME: light color for pilsners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a pilsner. Mini-mash: grains + LME.

Question: The range of LMEs available in the UK are usually limited to light, amber and dark color. Will light LME be too dark for a pilsner?
Another option is to look for a pilsner brew-kit and use the LME included with that...

Mike

I'm using a Pale ale LME for a pilsner like beer tomorrow. It should be fine. I htink some brands are darker than other, but pale LME isn't supposed to contain any crystal malt so you should be fine. Try plugging your amounts ino promash or some other program to see the est SRM.

mike004 said:
I'm thinking of brewing a pilsner. Mini-mash: grains + LME.

Question: The range of LMEs available in the UK are usually limited to light, amber and dark color. Will light LME be too dark for a pilsner?
Another option is to look for a pilsner brew-kit and use the LME included with that...

Mike

Can you get Muntons DME there? If you can, look for extra light DME. It will be much better than any LME you can get unless of course you can get a 100% pilsner malt LME.

ScottT said:
Can you get Muntons DME there? If you can, look for extra light DME. It will be much better than any LME you can get unless of course you can get a 100% pilsner malt LME.
According to Northern Brewer, Laaglander Light is even lighter than Munton's Extra Light.

Yes, but the only thing with the laaglander is that it's only 65 % fermentable and will leave you with a sweet brew. In a pillsner, that's not what you want, you need a more fermentable extract to get that dry, crisp flavor.

ScottT said:

Yes, Muntons DME is widely available.
But it works out more expensive than LME.
Typically, I will use only 1 or 2 lbs of DME in my recipes.

The only specific LME I have seen is online from a UK web site:
Morgans Master Blend Malt Extract. I think they are from Australia...they sell a 2-row lager malt LME with a color rating of 2.5.

Mike

mike004 said:
Yes, Muntons DME is widely available.
But it works out more expensive than LME.
Typically, I will use only 1 or 2 lbs of DME in my recipes.
The LME will not turn out as light as the DME, so it's really a choice of cost vs light color. :(

Try a late addition of LME at flame out. It keeps the extra boiling from darkening the wort. (LME is already boiled to concentrate) The late addition techique has made my light beers several points lighter. Just boil hops and DME for 60 minutes. I also haven't noticed that extract "twian" that I sometimes had with over cooking the LME.

Back