champagne/thick glass bottles - brett beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
I am sitting on a berliner weisse with a months worth of brett treatment and am anxious to bottle since my gravity hasn't moved. I keep seeing that with brett, it is safest to bottle with champagne bottles as they have thick walls. The only problem I see is that I will have to buy a corker. Another expense. Oh and champagne bottles. Another expense. Is this truly necessary to avoid bottle bombs? Or can I under-prime to stay safe and hope the brett slowly creates magic? Should I keg to carb and then bottle?

You can get 'Tirage' caps which are a larger diameter for use on the tops of champagne bottles. You need a larger bell on your capper to push on the Tirage caps as well. I'm keen to cork and cap my sours, Cantillon style, once they're ready.

Gravity has been at 1.008 for about a month. Was expecting a FG closer to 1.005. My other bottle options include assorted 12oz/22oz/750ml. All with standard crowns. I only have about 3gal I need to bottle. I would love to go the Cantillon route!!

I bottle half of my batches in champagne bottles just use the 29mm caps instead of the regular 26mm and use a bigger bell in your capper there is also plastic reusable corks for champagne bottles that can be used without a corker

Back