Aquafina Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given an Aquafina (True) Refrigerated Merchandiser. I am told that it doesn't work and would cost more to fix than it is worth. Summer is coming up and I need some temp control so I am hoping to make this ice cooled.

The inside dimensions are 18"D x 21"W x 43.5"H. My carboy with airlock is about 26" tall so I figure that gives me about 17" to put in a plastic bin for ice cubes. I can put a shelf above that with a hole for a computer fan connected to a thermostat, sort of like a Mother of Fermentation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aquafina.jpg

Bummer it doesn't work, but kind of a cool idea to cool it with ice. It still might be worth having someone take a look at it. I was thinking these commercial units were usually cheaper to fix than home units...maybe someone who knows more about them can chime in.

I have a similar Dannon Yogurt fridge in my basement. Started out with the intention of using it as a a beer fridge and as an occasional lagering fridge. I've since built a dual stage ferm chamber out of a chest freezer so the Dannon is now a dedicated beer fridge.

These things are commercial, and can be worked on - unlike the cheap stuff we consumers get.

Call HVAC in the yellow pages (the what?) and ask if they work on commercial refrigerators. You can get this fixed!!!

It's a bit of a search but, there's a guy in your area that likes beer and does this stuff on the side.. I've worked with them in every job I've ever had. I worked with a guy who had a microbiology degree and was doing refridgeration. Really?...

Trailer parks will have a guy that does everything. Get ahold of him. He's usually someone you won't want around your wife cause he's so course but, so what... Distract her and get the dude to look at it.

Oh, also remember True didn't make the parts that went in that thing just like ford doesn't make the tires they put on a car. Cut those guys out and get wholesale parts. The dude will know where to get them on the cheap.

Nice score!

Thanks guys. I saw it on Craigslist on Thursday but from the description I thought it was one of those ice chest types but I didn't have any way to move it. Then I saw it was relisted the next Monday and a friend with a truck was headed that way already so he picked it up for me.

Boy was I surprised when I found out it was a fridge! I would absolutely LOVE to get it running, but I figure I might be able to get some use out of it now for next to nothing. I can get all the free ice I want at work so all I am out is a $15 thermostat.

Do you know any of the details as to why it doesn't work? It could be something relatively simple & maybe was misdiagnosed depending on the abilities of the person who checked it out. Get someone locally who is knowledgeable to look at it for you. I've worked on several & have seen a variety of problems so I think it would be worth getting another opinion. Good luck!

If it needs a new compressor it's probably not worth fixing, but if it's anything else it may be worth having someone take a look at it. The cost of a new compressor and the labor related to replacing it would more than likely exceed the value of the fridge. I can't tell you how many knuckleheads in my business have condemned single phase compressors as bad only to find out it was nothing more than a bad start capacitor or potential relay.

So I have a 3" fan in the far left corner blowing down. I'm going to put another hole in the near right corner. Any thoughts of hooking another fan up there, blowing upwards?

Thanks, but $150 is WAY out of my price range right now. So far I am in for $36 but I like to deduct the $20.20 I got from the recycling center for all my twist-off bottles. :)

I was just looking at one of those units in a convenience store tonight. So I randomly started looking at prices on the True Mfg. commercial refrigerators. Then I saw this thread. I was finding similar ones going for upwards of a grand. +1 for getting someone to look at it and see if you can get fixed on the cheap.

Back to the drawing board.... First, and most importantly, after 4 months the wood shelf is growing all sorts of interesting fungi. Perhaps someone knows a treatment for that?

The second issue, which is really related, is that I ran the power cord inside the door hinge. That means in order to remove the shelf, I have to either unwire it or take the door off its hinges! I need to either flop things around so the cord runs out the open side of the door or wire in some sort of disconnect.

And lastly, when it is in the 90's outside, the chamber only gets down to 70F. I think if I wire in a second fan in the opposite corner, blowing in the opposite direction, I can drop that down a bit.

So I added a second fan, blowing the opposite direction, and I can get it down below 60F on 100F days.

I covered all the wood with contact paper and no more mold.

Now that the weather is cooling, it was getting down to 62F in there at night so I added an aquarium heater to kick in at 65F. The fans kick in to cool at 68F. A load of ice lasts 2-3 days.

image-4066154629.jpg

I've never plugged it in myself. I have a friend who was taking A/C tech classes who looked at it and told me that it didn't work but he would need tools that he didn't have to tell me why.

I'll plug it in next time it is empty.

You never got this looked at?
Did you try and recharge the system?
Might just need some gas if the compressor isn't kicking on. Very simple but often overlooked as a problem

Back