one yeast packet or two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
just got brewcraft usa, ultimate beer ingredients kit today, scotch wee heavy. included are 2 packets of danstar windsor yeast.
advanced procedures for best results with this kit suggest hybrid ale/lager ferment and crashing yeast. it suggests double pitching yeast packets and adding to secondary fermenter 7 days after brewing.
being still pretty new to all this and not having a way yet to keep the beer at the proper temp range for lagering, i will probably be following the basic instructions that were also included with this kit. they say sprinkle yeast packet over wort after chilled to 80 degrees. this is the way i have done it before (have made a couple batches, but none in several months) and have always used only one yeast packet. i don't need to use both packets with this batch, do i? any help would be great :confused:

Well, if your not making a starter and you OG is over 1.060 I would recommend double pitching so there's enough yeast to prevent stressing the yeast cells by not having enough to finish to FG :tank:

Well, if your not making a starter and you OG is over 1.060 I would recommend double pitching so there's enough yeast to prevent stressing the yeast cells by not having enough to finish to FG :tank:

I'd second that. If you're making a Wee Heavy, your OG is probably around 1.080 or so, so definitely use both. Also, don't sprinkle. Re-hydrate them in a jar of previously-boiled warm water for about an hour, and then pitch that. The warmth and liquid will wake your yeast up and shorten lag time. Don't put any sugar or anything in the water. The yeast doesn't need it.

If you want to go a little beyond, you can also toss out that yeast all together and get a couple packages of liquid yeast (Smack packs would be good for you, as you can use those without a starter). You can use an English strain, or (if you're really adventurous) you can use one English and one Scottish strain (You'll end up with a somewhat drier beer that way, but more interesting tastes).

Latest posts

Back