Questions about my Pumpkin ale with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
I bought a kit from midwest brewery. Nice kit. I added 2 30 oz cans of Libby's pumpkin pie filler ( I boiled it in the wart but in last 5-10 minutes like they suggested. I did ADD 1 lb of DME (boiled 60 minutes with the rest of the LME in the kit)
** Problem, there was 2-3 inches of SLURRY left at the bottom of the fermentor!

I left it in the primary for 1 week, when I transferred it to the carboy I moved most of the "slurry" not knowing any better.... I left it there for 5 days. Today after some reading I Racked it to the 3rd carboy removing the slurry.

** I only have about 4 gallons of beer maybe a little less** With the EXTRA dme that I added, would it hurt to add a gallon water??? Beer definately looks and smells stronger than my other beers.

Here is my Journal.
Pumpkin Ale- Started 3/19/11 Expected finish is 5/1/11
Steeped Grains 30 mins. @ 155-160 8 oz Carapils, 8 oz Caramel 10l
6 lbs Gold LME (60 mins) Small boilover on hot break
ADDED 1 lb of DME PILSEN (60 mins as well)
Hops 1oz mt hood (60 mins)
Added 60 oz LIBBY’s pumpkin pie filling in last 5-10 minutes
1 oz Cascade (last 2 minutes)
Added 1 cup brown sugar, ½ tsp of cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg
Wyeast American ale #1056 PROPAGATOR (primed in corn sugar, mistake) fementation began in 28 hours, but airlock wasn’t tight either, could of started sooner.
SG 1.052 EG 1.007 3/25/11
Moved to secondary on 3/26 (2 inches of sludge on bottom moved to secondary mistacke.)
Reracked 4/2 to remove sludge
Reracked to another carboy. Only could move 4 gallons

i wouldn't mess with it. the less you do to your beer while its fermenting the better.

Back