Dryhopping in primary....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I am going to dry hop in the primary for a hoppy red ale I brewed. It has been in the primary for 16 days . I am using an aquarium heater to keep the temp dead on at 67. I was going to let it sit at ambient temps for 2-3 days (50 degrees F.) to drop some of the yeast out. I was then going to warm it back up to 70 for a week for dry hopping. I was going to try this out for two reasons.....drop out some more yeast since I have heard that yeast will absorb some hop oil and that dry hopping should be done "warmer". Of course I could just throw the hops in the primary @ 67 and not worry about it.;) Any comments or suggestions? Thanks. Al

I did this for my last two batches.The only problem I had was when I harvest my yeast. I get to Much hops into my jars and its a pain when some float and some sink to the bottom. I think I'm going to stick with dry hopping in the secondary for now on.

Basically,you don't want the yeast to be re-activated & absorb the hop oils (well,it actually clings to the lil yeasties). Because,when the yeast cells drop out of suspension,they drag the hop oils with them. Not good. I say just keep the temp down,& let it dry hop for 7-10 days. That'd be better,from what I've learned thus far.

Latest posts

Back