Bottle CLEANING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I have been saving my commercial beer bottles as I drink them for bottlng day.

I read somewhere that using soap to clean the inside (i.e. a mild unscented dish detergent) with a bottle brush is good for a first clean...but there could be some soap scum layer no matter how good you rince...and the soap scum layer can cause poor head retention.

I know I will need to sanitize just prior to bottlin....but I am wondering what you guys do as far as cleaning of the inside in this situation.

What I read seems a bit odd....I would think you went overkill with rincing you could get all soap out.

Most people don't, but I use a bleach solution to soak my bottles in and then it is followed by a hot water rince ( I mean a really good rince ) and then I sanatize using star-san.
I wouldn't use soap at all. If you have access to a dishwasher, using the hot water cycle without any soap would do nice.

I soak mine in oxyclean to remove the labels and clean the bottles.

Then I run them through the dishwasher when I clean dishes.

Before bottling I run all the bottles through the dishwasher with no soap to sanitize.

Never used a bottle brush or had a problem with head retention.

Back