The Official Brew Of The Month Style Poll #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew of the month style for recipe.

• Brown

• Stout

• Pale Ale

• Blonde

• IPA

• Marzen/Oktoberfest

• Porter

• ESB

• Scottish Ale

• Wheat

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
Alright so incase you didn't catch it a few of us have decided to get together for a brew of the month, see link for a run down. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/brew-month-142974/ This being the first brew of the month thread thus far bare with me as I organize things. That being said please go ahead and vote for your favorite style for this first brew of the month, polling will cease as of 11:59pm Oct. 31 MST, lol it's easier for me since I live here, from there, there will be a link to the recipes polling page for this Brew of the month. Closing date for this poll will be posted on Nov 1st within that thread. I will have links posted as soon as they are up so keep checking back. Have fun everyone, I see alot of potential for this so let's start it off right! Now go vote!

I voted for a porter as I think it will be the most appropriate during the late fall/early winter months when it will be ready.

Went with wheat personally only cause I really would like to make a good hefe, and I have only brewed 4 beers thus far lol. But I agree a good stout, porter, brown, would work well seeing as the time frame. Glad to see people taking an interest.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand....there's a HUGE recipe database on this forum already; not to mention many other internet sites.

What will voting on a style of the month accomplish?

Just asking :mug:

I voted Porter, but mainly because I just placed an order today for the ingredients for a Porter.... :D

votin on a style will determine the Winning style for the month, will then pick a winning Recipe of the Month and participating folks will brew it with brewing notes and tasting notes. Ithink?

I voted for a porter as I think it will be the most appropriate during the late fall/early winter months when it will be ready.

i definitely think we should brew up seasonal beers for when it will be ready. options like hefe's and lawnmower types should be only available during the spring time for summer.

Looks like porter's running away with it, I'm not sure if I have a problem but I feel like we should be gambling on this.

Yep getting the voting list together I decided to give a range this time rather than only allow seasonal. It does look as though people want to do seasonAl which is fine. So with the time frame and voting and everything. I figure the wining recipes will prolly be brewed up before december 1st so should we consider this the nov brew of the month or dec brew of the month?

I voted brown since I've got a porter on tap right now (which is getting rave reviews, so I'd be happy to toss it in as an option). Never brewed a brown, though...

I would think about what you want to achieve out of this. I mean brewing the same thing as others is fun and all, but we're all brewing similar recipes all the time. there seems to be no real goal of this...

Well what I was thinking and I will address it more once the recipe has been voted on is, I think each brewer should take the recipe and adjust it a little to make I their own. Add a little more hops or less malt or something along those lines and report back what it turned out like. That way if there are people who would like to trade that months homebrew to compare they can. I would be willing to trade a bottle to several people to get some in return. I think this could vastly improve the recipes and give each brewer an idea in to what works well with the style and what doesn't.

I'm in. Voted for Scottish Ale as I've been wanting to do one.

I think it's a great idea. While we are inevitably brewing similar beers all the time, I think there's a lot to be gained from brewing the same recipe at the same time as others. I don't have a club in my area or any fellow homebrewers (yet. Trying to fix that). Also I like the idea of voting for the recipe. That way I'll get to brew some beers I may not have on my own.

Oh, and I'd be happy to do an exchange with anyone interested.

Assuming the winning style is going to be Porter, unless we vote on Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, I won't be brewing what we vote on. Not trying to be a jacka$$, I just happen to have just ordered those ingredients already.

I would still like to participate with THAT brew if possible, perhaps do an exchange with a couple people.

I've got no beef with brewing "Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter". Also, even if you don't brew the BOTM at the time that everyone else is, if we archive the threads then when you do get around to brewing it, you'll have access to people first-hand accounts of brewing it, along with any questions that someone came up with. Knowledge is power!

So I wonder how much time is enough time to give folks a chance to get a brew scheduled? Would putting it out 2 months or 1 month be enought time, should we go with this month, but work on getting a few months recipes decided on and schedule far enough in the future to get more involvment?

Personally I think it would be more fun to brew a style specific beer with any recipe you want. Simply state what that recipe is for all of us to see. Just my opinion though.

Personally I think it would be more fun to brew a style specific beer with any recipe you want. Simply state what that recipe is for all of us to see. Just my opinion though.

I understand where you're comming from with this but by brewing the same recipe that everyone votes on as best and everyone twiking that recipe I think will give a better final result. However just cause everyone else is brewing say a porter this month doesn't mean you have to you can always wait till the next one and just vote.

Scotish Ale vote for me. Lagging behind the Porter in total votes though. I've not brewed a Porter but would be willing to give it a go. C'mon 10/31.

I understand where you're comming from with this but by brewing the same recipe that everyone votes on as best and everyone twiking that recipe I think will give a better final result. However just cause everyone else is brewing say a porter this month doesn't mean you have to you can always wait till the next one and just vote.

I don't understand- what "final result" are you looking for? Are you going to do a swap to compare? That is really the only reason I can think of to say that everyone must brew the same recipe. Personally I am in agreement that it would be best to just have a style of the month and brew whatever recipe you want to fit that style. It sounds like a great way to get everyone off of their duffs to brew a batch- me included. But I am a lot less likely to brew a "style of the month" if someone else tells me what recipe I have to brew. I'm not trying to be difficult here, honest! I just would like to understand.

I don't understand- what "final result" are you looking for? Are you going to do a swap to compare? That is really the only reason I can think of to say that everyone must brew the same recipe. Personally I am in agreement that it would be best to just have a style of the month and brew whatever recipe you want to fit that style. It sounds like a great way to get everyone off of their duffs to brew a batch- me included. But I am a lot less likely to brew a "style of the month" if someone else tells me what recipe I have to brew. I'm not trying to be difficult here, honest! I just would like to understand.

I think anyone who is asking "What's the point in this?" should read the original thread
Brew of the Month?
:mug: :cross: :drunk:

Yep you guessed it, trade with other brewers on the batch to get ideas on what could improve not only this recipe but other recipes in the style. I think if we can each post our twiked recipe and judge it similarly to how things are done on beer advocate or rate beer I think for those that don't have the time, money, or energy to trade and compare, that they will be able to post a review and give others a general idea of how it changed. Again if you feel like making a beer different from the recipe voted on for the style, by all means post your experience with the recipe, this theatd is more about collaboration of the majority to make a style then recipe than only postig about a random recipe in a style. There already is a place for recipes in styles and you can post individual experiences in that recipes thread. This gives you the oppertunity to have many peoples input on a recipe every month rather than the 1 or 2 people that comment on a random recipe. Just my 2 cents. I wasn't the one that thought this idea up I'm just trying to make it work. Don't mean to come off like a jerk in anyway though.

I'll put $5 on brown. come on brown, come on brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!porter to place, stout to show?:rockin:

Yep you guessed it, trade with other brewers on the batch to get ideas on what could improve not only this recipe but other recipes in the style. I think if we can each post our twiked recipe and judge it similarly to how things are done on beer advocate or rate beer I think for those that don't have the time, money, or energy to trade and compare, that they will be able to post a review and give others a general idea of how it changed. Again if you feel like making a beer different from the recipe voted on for the style, by all means post your experience with the recipe, this theatd is more about collaboration of the majority to make a style then recipe than only postig about a random recipe in a style. There already is a place for recipes in styles and you can post individual experiences in that recipes thread. This gives you the oppertunity to have many peoples input on a recipe every month rather than the 1 or 2 people that comment on a random recipe. Just my 2 cents. I wasn't the one that thought this idea up I'm just trying to make it work. Don't mean to come off like a jerk in anyway though.

I'm glad you clarified this because this is much more what I would be interested in. From what I had read before in this thread and the other I thought you were going to set it up so that everyone brew the exact same recipe. If we can tweak a recipe but still stay within style I would love that a lot more. Besides you can only tweak a recipe so much and stay within style to begin with. I think Bernie Brewer was thinking along the same wavelength as well.

Like you said, it would be great to post a recipe, someone else read it and actually taste it to put two and two together. I'm feeling this now! :D

Um, Dunnright, I DID read the other thread before I posted. There was nothing in there to answer my question.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, but I thought it was pretty clear that part of the intent of this was to do swaps. See how others who made the same brew as you did, and see what you can do to make yours better.

After looking back, I can see that it's not entirely obvious.

I'm glad you clarified this because this is much more what I would be interested in. From what I had read before in this thread and the other I thought you were going to set it up so that everyone brew the exact same recipe. If we can tweak a recipe but still stay within style I would love that a lot more. Besides you can only tweak a recipe so much and stay within style to begin with. I think Bernie Brewer was thinking along the same wavelength as well.

Like you said, it would be great to post a recipe, someone else read it and actually taste it to put two and two together. I'm feeling this now! :D

I like the idea of posting a recipe after the style has been chosen, and then allow the freedom to make tweaks and additions as desired.

Then with the swap (if you so desire) you can compare yours with the others.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, but I thought it was pretty clear that part of the intent of this was to do swaps. See how others who made the same brew as you did, and see what you can do to make yours better.

After looking back, I can see that it's not entirely obvious.

Lol I totally agree when I'm doing most of this typing it from my phone so part of the calrity issue in my threads is due to that. The other it my laziness to not re read my own post before posting. Anyways I'm looking forward to seeing who's the winner. Keep the votes comming!

So, you guys think we can post the poll one month. Then the next month we all brew it up the next month? Where would we get the starter recipe? A Jamil recipe? Or from a book?
This is a good idea though. Would be cool to brew up a porter or brown. Haven't done either of those yet.

Im looking forward to seeing how this works out. I like the swaping idea of the same recipes. Good feedback from likeminded brewers would be great.

glad to see the interest here, and plenty of votes. I'm pumped for this just need to clear out one of my 3 primarys. :ban::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Went for a scotish!
Had a scotsh ale before and wow!! Its getting cold outside and having a 9% beer would be a nice way to warm up from a cold spell outside workin :)

Back