How big is sulphur smell with lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs2to4

Reaction score
I just bought a chest freezer for a fermentation vessel, and it's stored in my girlfriend's basement. My question is how "big" is the sulphur smell when you open the chest freezer? Could it stink up a whole basement or just a certain sized area around the freezer? How long does this smell come out of the airlock for? Could a fan easily dissipate this odor? Thanks for your help. I just don't want to go ahead and make a lager and piss her and the roommate off.

My experience with my first lager was that I only noticed the sulphur smell within a small area around my fermentation cabinet. And the intensity of the odor began to decrease after about a week of fermentation and was only significant for a period of about 4 to 5 days. If you keep your cabinet shut and don't peek like every 5 minutes you shouldn't really notice it too badly. :)

Latest posts

Back