Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I saw an ad for this in the latest BYO and thought it sounded intriguing. I am not really one for Heffes, wheat beers and/or Belgians, but there are a few I like. I went to the Dutch Goose last night for $1 draft Thursday and they had this on tap. After blowing the keg of Dagger Falls IPA :'( I decided to give this a shot. The bartender said that Boise is a test city for Sierra's new beers (cool).
Anyways... nice bright golden yellow color, unfiltered, white thick head. The aroma was fruity with definite banana and clove, but you could also detect a little hoppiness in the background - very light, but still present. The flavor was fruity, banana, clove, but fairly light on those flavors (not like a full out belgian). :ban: It was not super sweet like I expected, but had a nice richness to it. You could tell it wasn't just a plain wheat beer. It had a very nice body and mouthfeel - most likely due to the munich malt in it. You could also taste the balance between grains and hops and yeast. No one thing stood out as an anomaly - it was very even.
I would definitely recommend you guys try this beer. I will for sure be trying to locate a 6'er asap because this is a great summertime beer!:mug:

I agree, I tried this about a week ago and I really like it. This is coming from a guy who isn't fond of many wheat beers. Very balanced yet flavorful, and very drinkable. It actually has good body for a wheat beer as well.

I picked up a 6er of this about a month ago and was pleased with it myself. Good balance, and its cool that they are using open fermentation.

Yeah, the photo in the ad kind of my me do a double-take when I saw the dude raking those giant fermentation tanks. Wicked cool!

Maybe I need to try it again.... Had it at the brewery when it first came out, and while it wasn't bad, I definitely preferred their old wheat to the new hefe. Everyone seems to be coming out with these good comments, so maybe I'll have to give it another go.

I had my first taste of this a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. It was very flavorful, and I prefer it to there other wheat beer. I will be enjoying many of these for what's left of the summer:mug:

excellent excellent beer.

Like many have said.. its probably the best american brewed hefe.

I got to sample some a few weeks ago when a SN rep brought some to a homebrew club meeting. I dunno what BYO said about it, but they use open fermenters to make it. He said they sent everybody on a tour of nearly every brewery in Germany that produces Hefeweizen and all the best ones they tried used open fermentation, so they went with it.

I had one today for the first time. I was impressed. Very much in the Bavarian style which I prefer to American style. I agree with the comment above: it is the best American-brewed version I've had.

+10 I had a 6er the other day that was -alright- and then i realized my brother was pouring them straight, and not rousing any yeast. I poured our next two myself and made sure the bottom of the bottle was completely clean and they were amazing brews...it really added a LOT to the flavor IMO.

So, somebody's already harvesting and propagating...anyone have an idea about a clone?
What about open fermentation for the homebrewer?

+10 I had a 6er the other day that was -alright- and then i realized my brother was pouring them straight, and not rousing any yeast. I poured our next two myself and made sure the bottom of the bottle was completely clean and they were amazing brews...it really added a LOT to the flavor IMO.

So, somebody's already harvesting and propagating...anyone have an idea about a clone?
What about open fermentation for the homebrewer?

I thought most SN beers were centrifuge-filtered and then bottled using a separate yeast from the fermentation. Is the keller different?

excellent excellent beer... its probably the best american brewed hefe.

That is it. I am sold.
I realize that Sierra Nevada doesn't make "bad" beers, but I really am not a fan of "Wheats".
I was about to get a 6er of last weekend. I paused and refrained.

I will get some in the next week.
Thanks for the shared tasting notes.

Dog

had this for the first time two nights ago. I love Witbier, but the clove is usually way too overbearing in most hefeweizens for my taste. this still had the clove taste, but it was much more mellow and balanced with rest of the beer. plus... after seeing that crazy fermentation picture ad, who wouldn't want to try this? (first time since i was a kid that an ad actually caused me to buy something)

Caspio: I couldn't say for sure, but it's seems like since the yeast being present is such a huge part of the flavor profile in a hefe then this sediment is definitely a wheat beer yeast and not just a conditioning yeast. I see what you're saying though, and hopefully the yeast i harvest from these next bottles will be the same strain used in primary.

This beer is a reminder to me to always try a beer at least twice before I judge it. The first time I tried it I hated it - tasted sweet and unbalanced. I had it again some months later and couldn't believe it was the same beer. This time I loved it. :confused:

I have most of a keg of my hefe in the kegerator, and another 5 gallons fermenting.

Yet, I went out and picked up a six of Kellerweiss last weekend. Why?

Because I like it. It is the best American made commercial Hefe I have found.

:rockin:

This thread makes me smile... :)

Awhile ago SWMBO got sick of her usual beers and wanted to try some new brews. I agreed and so we went and got her a mixed 6er of wheats since she had convinced herself that that is what she likes...

I only remember the one she picked as her new favy and that was the keller...we have been buying it ever since.

I may be wrong as I am @ work but I am pretty sure that the label states they are using Nottingham yeast and if it doesn't I can pretty much guarantee that is the "base strain" they are using because that is the strain that gives the banana and clove esters; unless someone knows of a different one that will do the same thing???

Awhile ago SWMBO got sick of her usual beers and wanted to try some new brews. I agreed and so we went and got her a mixed 6er of wheats since she had convinced herself that that is what she likes...

I only remember the one she picked as her new favy and that was the keller...we have been buying it ever since.

I may be wrong as I am @ work but I am pretty sure that the label states they are using Nottingham yeast and if it doesn't I can pretty much guarantee that is the "base strain" they are using because that is the strain that gives the banana and clove esters; unless someone knows of a different one that will do the same thing???

Their website just says "Ale Yeast". I did read somewhere a "New German Yeast" was used.

It's actually harvested from a bottle from a German brewery, one of the smaller hefe brewers over there.

It is indeed a special german strain that isn't available to the public. They do bottle with it as well, so reviving it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Here is mine, it came out very close, but I also used the yeast from the bottom of a Kellerweis. That is the most important part of making a beer that tastes like the SN one.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Klone

Selected Style and Target Specs
15A-German Wheat/Rye Beer-Weizen/Weissbier

Minimum OG: 1.044 SG Maximum OG: 1.052 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.014 SG
Minimum IBU: 8 IBU Maximum IBU: 15 IBU
Minimum Color: 2.0 SRM Maximum Color: 8.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 5.75 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 5.10 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.00 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 4.75 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 4.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.1 % Expected ABW: 4.0 %
Expected IBU: (using Tinseth): 14.7 IBU Expected Color: (using Morey): 4.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.29 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 ˚F

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 4lb 8oz 47.4 % 1.6 In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 4lb 4oz 44.7 % 1.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 12.00 oz 7.9 % 1.3 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Perle 8.0 % 0.47 oz 14.7 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
5.2 ph Stabilizer 0.50 oz In Mash
Yeast Nutrient 0.04 oz In Mash
Flour 0.04 oz In Boil

Yeasts
Yeast Strain Amount Used
Wyeast 3068-Weihenstephen Weizen 1 pack

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 0 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 0 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride (ppm): 0 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Weizen (45-66C)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 113 ˚F 15
Raise by infusion to 151 ˚F 5
Rest at 151 ˚F 60

Recipe Notes
From Sierra Nevada website:

ABV: 4.8%
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014
Malts: Two-Row Pale, Wheat, Munich
Bittering Hops: Perle or Sterling
IBU: 15

Yeast should be cultured from the bottom of a Kellerweis bottle, but if not, 3068 can be used.

Boil 100ml of water with 6 grams of DME to get about 100ml of 1.022 wort. Add the yeast from the bottom of 4 bottles of Kellerweis when it cools to around 75F. Keep in stir plate for a day or so when yeast growth is noticeable, then step it up to 500ml of 1.025 wort by boiling 37 grams in 500ml of water. After 2 days on the stir plate, step it up to 1200ml of 1.035 wort.

Primary: Yeast pitched at 62F, raises to 70F. 5 days open ferment.
Secondary: Tanks chilled to 30F. 7 days.

Mash: One-step milled in at 155F, then mash full raised to 161F.

However, an equally important step is the rest at 113F, this will give you your clove notes

Here is mine, it came out very close, but I also used the yeast from the bottom of a Kellerweis. That is the most important part of making a beer that tastes like the SN one.

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Klone

Selected Style and Target Specs
15A-German Wheat/Rye Beer-Weizen/Weissbier

Minimum OG: 1.044 SG Maximum OG: 1.052 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.014 SG
Minimum IBU: 8 IBU Maximum IBU: 15 IBU
Minimum Color: 2.0 SRM Maximum Color: 8.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 5.75 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 5.10 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.00 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 4.75 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 4.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.1 % Expected ABW: 4.0 %
Expected IBU: (using Tinseth): 14.7 IBU Expected Color: (using Morey): 4.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.29 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 ˚F

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 4lb 8oz 47.4 % 1.6 In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 4lb 4oz 44.7 % 1.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 12.00 oz 7.9 % 1.3 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Perle 8.0 % 0.47 oz 14.7 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
5.2 ph Stabilizer 0.50 oz In Mash
Yeast Nutrient 0.04 oz In Mash
Flour 0.04 oz In Boil

Yeasts
Yeast Strain Amount Used
Wyeast 3068-Weihenstephen Weizen 1 pack

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 0 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 0 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride (ppm): 0 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Mash Schedule

Rest at 113 ˚F 15
Rest at 151 ˚F 60

Recipe Notes
From Sierra Nevada website:

ABV: 4.8%
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014
Malts: Two-Row Pale, Wheat, Munich
Bittering Hops: Perle or Sterling
IBU: 15

Yeast should be cultured from the bottom of a Kellerweis bottle, but if not, 3068 can be used.

Boil 100ml of water with 6 grams of DME to get about 100ml of 1.022 wort. Add the yeast from the bottom of 4 bottles of Kellerweis when it cools to around 75F. Keep in stir plate for a day or so when yeast growth is noticeable, then step it up to 500ml of 1.025 wort by boiling 37 grams in 500ml of water. After 2 days on the stir plate, step it up to 1200ml of 1.035 wort.

Primary: Yeast pitched at 62F, raises to 70F. 5 days open ferment.
Secondary: Tanks chilled to 30F. 7 days.

Mash: One-step milled in at 155F, then mash full raised to 161F.

Just bumping this one back up. Wife is super keen for me to try and clone this beer.

Can anyone add any further advice/experiences to this recipe.

I'm going to try and harvest the yeast. Has anyone had success in harvesting from this beer? Does any know for sure if SN use the same yeast for bottle conditioning?

Cheers

Dave

Just bumping this one back up. Wife is super keen for me to try and clone this beer.

Can anyone add any further advice/experiences to this recipe.

I'm going to try and harvest the yeast. Has anyone had success in harvesting from this beer? Does any know for sure if SN use the same yeast for bottle conditioning?

Cheers

Dave

It sure tastes 100% authentic! But yes, they use the same yeast

Be prepared for a lot of sulfur but don't be worried, it cleans up nicely and makes for great flavor

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just waiting for a Baltic Porter to finishing lagering and I will attempt to harvest some yeast.

Cheers

Just building my recipe and I am at the water stage.

Anyone got any suggestions as to a target water profile for this beer?

My local water is quite soft so I was thinking of not doing any adjustments apart from some acid to get it down to 5.3pH

Is the number at the end of the mash the minutes I'm assuming so but I hate to assume. My real question though is the open fermentation. I tried to find a thread for that without luck. Do you just keep the fermenter top covered with a piece of tin foil so stuff doesn't drop in it but it still has air to it?

Is the number at the end of the mash the minutes I'm assuming so but I hate to assume. My real question though is the open fermentation. I tried to find a thread for that without luck. Do you just keep the fermenter top covered with a piece of tin foil so stuff doesn't drop in it but it still has air to it?

Mash Schedule

Rest at 113 ˚F 15
Rest at 151 ˚F 60

The number after the temperature is the time for each step

As far as open fermentation goes the whole idea is to maximize the surface area of the beer and the air. This is why they made special cold ships that are very shallow. For the purpose of homebrewing doing what you said works as it allows for wild yeast to find its way in. Less will with less surface area. I've done this and not really sure on the benefits because you get whatever wild yeast is around you, in my case my house has nothing interesting growing around it. I would be curious to see how other homebrewers simulate open fermentation. A bucket doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Has anyone just done this beer in sterile fermentation I just worry about something wired would happen.

I picked up a 6er of this about a month ago and was pleased with it myself. Good balance, and its cool that they are using open fermentation.
Pretty sure they open ferment Big Foot too. It is pretty awesome on such a grand scale.

Back