Free Grain - Need Help Making Mystery Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiverDance

Reaction score
So my LHBS mixed up some grains they had in buckets and becuase they can't sell it they offered it to me. It's a 80%/20% mix of wheat malt and amber malt. There is approximately 21lbs of grain there so I will be making a 10 gallons batch of something. Anyone got any ideas on which direction to head with this combination?

Let me see your ideas....

LD

I might be off-base here, but I don't think that amber malt has any enzyme activity to speak of because of it being kilned-at least from the little that I've read. Consequently, I won't be able to use that mix of wheat/amber malt as a base mix for anything.

You could use it as specialty malt addition however (maybe 10% of grist, with the base malt being 2-row). Maybe an APA, or an English bitter?

hope this helps...

Amber malt indeed has little diastatic power. Wheat malt, however, has a surfeit - usually substantially more than barley malt - so conversion of the Amber malt is assured in that ratio.

My primary concern would be lautering. That grist suffers from a decided lack of husk material. While I really think a beer made with this grist would be interesting as hell, I'd add a lot of rice hulls during dough-in.

Bob

I'd just make an American wheat and cut your 80/20 mix with 50% amerian 2 row. It'll just be a little darker than normal. So maybe for a 5 gal batch use 6 # of american 2 row and 6 pounds of your 80/20 mix, add a handfull of rice hulls to it (stuck=suck). Add a half ounce of amarillo at 60, 15, 5, and flame out. dry hop with another ounce. Use a clean fermenting yeast like 1056, 001, or nottingham.

that will make you a happy man. :mug:

Back