Help converting this extract recipe to all-grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kedash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched, but could only find posts talking about converting from all-grain to an extract recipe. I would like to convert this extract recipe to all-grain.

6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract
3/4 lb. British Crystal malt
(I believe I used American Crystal because the LHS was out of the British)
1/4 lb. Roasted barley
1/4 lb. Honey Malt
1 oz. Nugget hops (60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade hops (30 min)
1 oz. Cascade hops (10 min)

White Labs British Ale Yeast WLP005

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

12# of base 2 row - in place of the 6# LME
2# of Munich Malt, Crystal 60L, and Black Malt(divided equally) - in place of the 1# DME

Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME.

I get about 72% efficiency with my system, so if your light extract is dry, I'd probably use 10 pounds 2-row in its place. If the light extract is liquid, I'd replace it with 8 pounds of 2-row.

Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME.

I get about 72% efficiency with my system, so if your light extract is dry, I'd probably use 10 pounds 2-row in its place. If the light extract is liquid, I'd replace it with 8 pounds of 2-row.

Even though the recipe is typed "6 lbs. Light Malt Extract," I know from brewing it last year that it was liquid malt extract (in addition to the 1 lb. of Dark Dray Malt Extract).

Thanks.

Ok, I know Im late to this but..
Yooper, so would the total conversion look like:

(lbs LME x 1.25) / (% house effeciency)

Because I've googled for over an hour, and NOBODY put this up. Please let me know if this is right, thanks!

Ok, I know Im late to this but..
Yooper, so would the total conversion look like:

(lbs LME x 1.25) / (% house effeciency)

Because I've googled for over an hour, and NOBODY put this up. Please let me know if this is right, thanks!

LME has pretty much the same ppg as a base malts potential ppg (36ppg vs 37-40ppg), so this will put you slightly over in total points
lbs of grain = lbs LME / %house efficiency

DME is the same, just divided by 0.8

Back