Coor's Disposable Keg = Party Pig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested it out today with some non-threaded 16 g cartridges and some small black rubber o-rings (all purchased at my LHBS). The neck of the cartridge was much narrower, so I thought the o-rings would help and they definitely did. I first installed two o-rings and it filled while leaking a slight amount. Once it was done leaking (cartridge was VERY cold BTW) I used a new cartridge and installed a third 0-ring. This time there was zero leakage and the bottle got rock hard immediately without opening the safety valve.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works well with my IPA I'm about to bottle. So far so good.

The diameter of the nozzle is a perfect fit to the o-ring and the threads don't get in the way.

The only downside is that the threaded version is a mm or 2 taller and wider. I was able to push the cartridge into the housing by hand but it's a tight fit. Since it's a little taller you can get to about a half turn of the green arrows touching. Neither is a show stopper. I carbed up some StarSan last night, no leaks and still under pressure today.

How's this holding up?

Well my experiment is going fine so far. I refilled a Coors Light home draft bottle, primed it with corn sugar, let it sit for two weeks and it definitely carbed up and held pressure ok. I ordered 20 of the 16 gram threaded cartridges from redrockminnesota.com and then fit the little rubber coupler thing on and tightened it up.With considerable muscle, I was able to tighten it to the farthest point where the arrows come together. I could hear and feel that the CO2 cartridge punctured ok. If the CO2 holds till the bottle is empty then I will go buy another one of these things.

Well my experiment is going fine so far. I refilled a Coors Light home draft bottle, primed it with corn sugar, let it sit for two weeks and it definitely carbed up and held pressure ok. I ordered 20 of the 16 gram threaded cartridges from redrockminnesota.com and then fit the little rubber coupler thing on and tightened it up.With considerable muscle, I was able to tighten it to the farthest point where the arrows come together. I could hear and feel that the CO2 cartridge punctured ok. If the CO2 holds till the bottle is empty then I will go buy another one of these things.

anyupdates? which CO2 did you use?

I just ordered some 16g threaded cartridges. The threads won't do a thing but the neck on them is 3/8" which more closely matches the one shipped in the Miller system.

Won't know for sure until I get them. Decent prices here: http://www.redrockminnesota.com/servlet/StoreFront

i went with these too.. so far so good. i'll see how it does over next few days

i went with these too.. so far so good. i'll see how it does over next few days

I've been using the threaded carts almost exclusively now. They work great and you really can't beat the price. Great find. I've got 2 taps and about 12 bottles in rotation. So far no problems with these whatsoever. The fit perfectly in the fridge.

JOCxu.jpg

Has anyone tried to prime using a co2 cart? (instead of the syrup?) Wondering if this would work? Prime it with one cart, then replace after 4 days, continue prime for 3 days, then enjoy??

Am I crazy? Did I miss this post?

Thanks!

That isn't a very good option. You would go through a couple of those little cartridges just carbing it.
Soon as I get my hands on one of these beasties (and feed the beer to my wifes' son, who will drink pretty much anything thats carbed) I'm gonna fill it with something I've force-carbed in the keg.

Carbing with the co2 cartridges might be a workable alternative if the person doesn't have a kegging setup or doesn't mind going thru a couple cartridges to carb.

I carbed some apfelwein months ago like that. Went thru 2 16oz cartridges over a week. It was carbed well enough for my tastes, but not as much as it could have been in a reg keg. It mostly comes down to tinkering and personal preference.

i just got my miller lite keg. would the tap all fit the TAD bottles?

The Miller/Coors bottles take a 38mm cap, and according to the TAD page on the Midwest Brewing site, they do as well.

Question: Has anyone compared the M/C bottles and the TAD bottles side by side? I'm wondering is there any difference between the two.

Pricewise, (assuming I can get someone to choke down the ML/CL) it seems financially advantageous to get a bottle and a tap for approximately $20, compared to $45+ for one bottle and a TAD tap.

Even cheaper if you get free ML/CL bottles from your friends. It seems that even if you buy the TAD tap and use ML/CL bottles that you get free, you stand to save a few bucks.

How about getting a couple of ML/CL taps, and using them on TAD bottles? That might be cheaper in the long run.

What do you guys think? Have you tried any of these combinations or others?

Just thinking out loud...

Question: Has anyone compared the M/C bottles and the TAD bottles side by side? I'm wondering is there any difference between the two.

I believe actual TAD bottles are 6L instead of 5.7L. The old TAD bottles were blue plastic with a round bottom so you needed a box to keep them upright while naturally carbing much like the M/C bottles. The new TAD bottles have a flat bottom and can stand upright on their own.

There have been several versions of the bottles from TAD. The current ones seem to be identical, but if you ordered some you might actually the older versions.

I have read that the current bottles are identical, but I can't say for sure as I have not seen them myself.

I am currently using a TAD bottle (from the 4-pack on Midwest) with my Coors tap without a problem. The bottles are identical and work great.

It's nice to have the bottles naturally carbing with the cap while waiting to free up the tap.

I just ran across one of these at the local grocery store and hit the internet. I've been looking for something like this to take to meetups.

How long are you guys priming in these miller/coors bottles? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Also, when priming are you capping with the included tap or with a different cap? If you're using a different cap, where did you get it?

Thanks!

I primed my IPA for only a week, but 2 or 3 would have been better. I just used the cap and locked the tapper closed with he safety lock. I also didn't have a CO2 cartridge in when carbing.

The bad part about this setup is that the tap tube has a weight on it and draws your beer from the bottom of the keg where sediment lies

it might be a good idea to increase the weight size or add a standoff to get it off the bottom

I just ran across one of these at the local grocery store and hit the internet. I've been looking for something like this to take to meetups.

How long are you guys priming in these miller/coors bottles? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Also, when priming are you capping with the included tap or with a different cap? If you're using a different cap, where did you get it?

Thanks!

I'm just carbing/conditioning as I would if i were using bottles. I'm not force carbing.

I'm planning on setting up multiple bottles, and rotating my taps (I have two)as I bring a different batch online. I'm using this cap from my LHBS:

http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/catalog/polyseal-screw-caps-38mm-p-3883.html

My understanding is that this is a common item in wine shops.

Here is how I 'struggled' thru it Sean!

TapADraft

can't seem to post pics, here is the link:
http://bit.ly/9IGI7n

You are an alcohol abuser. :D What a waste.....

I won't buy lite for any other reason, but I would not dump it, I'd share it with friends or drink it myself. I'm too cheap to dump it down the drain.

Trying to avoid a debate here, ML/CL aren't usually really bad, other than very plain. Compare breads and beer. Imagine a life where momma only made your PBJs on Wonder Bread. That would be your bench mark on bread. Thats how BMC drinkers are when you think about it.

ML/CL BMC : Wonder bread
Amercan Pale Ales : sourdough
Roggenbier : kosher rye
Dunkel/dunkelweiss : pumpernickel rye
Hefeweissen : wheat bread
Fruit beers : banana bread

Here is a photo to help out a little. The cartridge seal at the top of the photo fits very snug on the original cartridge (on the right). The neck of the original measures 23/64 and the non threaded cartridge from Genuine Innovations (on the left) measures 21/64. The cartridge seal is very loose on the Genuine Innovations cartridge.

My caliper is still set from when I measured the original cartridge.

Hope this helps.

P1010901.JPG

i found some 16 gram cartridges at my local brew shop yesterday that look like they'll work. :ban:
haven't yet decided on whether or not i'll try using my coors kegs on my red ale or on a mr beer batch. :mug:

already bottled my red ale. i plan to try to find time about mid week to brew a mr. beer pale ale and use that brew to try out reusing the coors home draft "mini"-keg thing, just to make sure it'll work before using it on a bigger better batch of beer. :mug:

My red ale is in the kegs now. I made 5 gallons and carbed at 2.75 vol of co2. Plan to chill for several days at 42F. Then vent, for long enough for expelling extra gas. Tip sideways and screw in the cartridge. I am assuming the pressure relief valve isn't dumping the gas as it sits ambient.

So that this post makes more sense you probably want to read through my DIY for my "Mini Kegerator" if you have not already done so.

...I am assuming the pressure relief valve isn't dumping the gas as it sits ambient.

I am guessing the pressure relief valve is set pretty high, maybe 60 or higher.

I installed a tire valve stem in the bottom of a 3 liter soda bottle, and screwed the tap onto the top. I dialed up the pressure on my CO2 tank regulator to 40 and attached an air chuck to the tire stem and the tap never vented. At some point I suppose I should probably increase the pressure to see where it actually does vent.

I also removed whatever they put into the allen head of the input regulator on the tap so I could turn it. Using a tire gauge and my modified 3 liter bottle I can now adjust the input regulator on the tap. I set them all for about 13 psi with my CO2 tank regulator set to 30. They are balanced pressure type regulators (opposing spring pressure) so the input pressure (from the CO2 tank) will affect the pressure in the keg.

My red ale is in the kegs now. I made 5 gallons and carbed at 2.75 vol of co2. Plan to chill for several days at 42F. Then vent, for long enough for expelling extra gas. Tip sideways and screw in the cartridge...

I wouldn't worry about venting it. Just pour yourself a couple of pints (or however much it will give you) then put in a new CO2 cartridge. Let it settle down for at least a couple hours before you try to pour another pint or you may just get a glass full of foam.

Here is a photo to help out a little. The cartridge seal at the top of the photo fits very snug on the original cartridge (on the right). The neck of the original measures 23/64 and the non threaded cartridge from Genuine Innovations (on the left) measures 21/64. The cartridge seal is very loose on the Genuine Innovations cartridge.

My caliper is still set from when I measured the original cartridge.

Hope this helps.

I recently discovered this problem as well. I tried wrapping the GI cartridge with tape to increase the neck width and was able to get a good enough seal to repressurize the bottle to a point and then it started to slowly leak. This was better than the standard CO2 spray that occurs when popping these cartridges in. I see you've created a killer kegerator setup using the original cartridge, but before you moved on to that, did you find a solution to using the GI cartridges in these bottles so that they never leaked CO2?

I recently discovered this problem as well. I tried wrapping the GI cartridge with tape to increase the neck width and was able to get a good enough seal to repressurize the bottle to a point and then it started to slowly leak. This was better than the standard CO2 spray that occurs when popping these cartridges in. I see you've created a killer kegerator setup using the original cartridge, but before you moved on to that, did you find a solution to using the GI cartridges in these bottles so that they never leaked CO2?

I never really had any issues, but I only used a couple of them before my modifications. I have heard of others using o rings around the neck. I also use the keg lube I have for my cornies. I think it helps keep the rubber in good shape.

I never really had any issues, but I only used a couple of them before my modifications. I have heard of others using o rings around the neck. I also use the keg lube I have for my cornies. I think it helps keep the rubber in good shape.

Me too. I think this is good practice. I smear a small dab of keg lube on the top and sides of the cartridge tip. Then carefully press it into the cartridge holder. Making sure its fully seated before I screw on the cartridge.

And of course, this has to be laying its side as it would sit in the fridge, the keg is also ice cold.

Just to add to this discussion, I've successfully used one of these for home brew. I bottled a Belgian Blonde ale in one of these with priming sugar to carbonate. After a couple of weeks in the bottle, it carbed up nicely but I only got a few out of it before it stopped dispensing.

Since I could only find 12g CO2 cartridges at the LHBS, I wrapped some paper towel around the cartridge and stuffed some more into the bottom. It took some trial and error and I had to waste one cartridge, but the second one worked fine and kept the keg pressurized until it was kicked.

I am on my 3rd batch using these kegs. So far, so good.

Only had one problem to date. Press the gas cartridge all the way in to the holder before you screw it in, otherwise you can knock the pin out of the plastic seat.

Got english ipa in them now, gonna put an alt or dunkelweizen in them next.

Right now, I have 6 of these. My kegerator is several hundred miles in isolation :(

i just bought one of these. interested to see how it does. i have used them in the past (prior to starting brewing), and always wondered if i could reuse them.

Heres my question. I have no clue about kegging yet. the only thing i have done to date is bottle (i have a keg setup on my christmas list). I would like to force carb, but don't know the proper protocol with a real keg, let alone one of these.

do i just screw the co2 cart on, and let it go for a few days, and then do another? from what i've read in this thread that seems to be the case, but i am not sure what else needs to happen.

much appreciated.

Back