Size for converted cooler MLT...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I'm growing into the all-grain way and I need to get the MLT setup. If all I see myself brewing is 5 gal batches would a 5 gal cooler MLT be big enough or would I need the 10 gal cooler?

thanks

You need a 10 gallon MLT. You can scrape by with 5 gallons, but you can't brew any big beers and you will have to mash with less water.

Go bigger. Grain absorbs a lot of water and takes up some serious space. I have a 50qt Extreme for my MLT and wouldn't trade it for anything smaller. I can mash at 2qt/lb and have room leftover. When I have made bigger beers or double batches, it's been a breeze with all that room.

Get the 10G cooler now, or kick yourself later for not doing it.

What he said. 10gal MLT is barely big enough for an Imperial Stout. I wouldn't be able to brew many of my recipes if I had a 5gal MLT.

a 5 gal cooler will do about 13lbs of grain. I've hit 1.064, post boil. I don't brew huge beers (in fact most are 1.050 tops)

I'm growing into the all-grain way and I need to get the MLT setup. If all I see myself brewing is 5 gal batches would a 5 gal cooler MLT be big enough or would I need the 10 gal cooler?

thanks

Get the 7 Gal round rubbermaid. Splits the difference perfectly. I've done up to an 18lb grain bill. Minimizes the headspace, so it'll hold mash temps longer and more stable.

You can order it from Walmart.com with free delivery to your local store for like 40 bucks.

Don't get the 5 Gal, it'll end up being to small and you'll end up mashing to thick for any beer with more than a 11 lb grain bill.

With a well made cooler, the headspace isn't going to make a difference. Go for the 10G cooler, nothing smaller.

I have a five gallon MLT. I hit 1.055 with it regularly, but it gets CROWDED.

I'm going to build a 10 gallon MLT, but keep the 5 gallon for small batches.

I have a 5 gallon round cooler that I use for "regular" gravity beers and a 52qt for bigger ones. The 5 gallon was free is the only reason I have it. I just use whichever I'm not using as the MLT as a HLT.

I have a five gallon MLT. I hit 1.055 with it regularly, but it gets CROWDED.

I'm going to build a 10 gallon MLT, but keep the 5 gallon for small batches.

Use the 5 gallon as an HLT. When you're mashing, heat your sparge water and store it in the 5 gallon cooler. Collect your wort in the kettle and start heating it while you're sparging. You will get the full volume to a boil 15-20 min sooner and cut some waiting time off your brew day.

I was about to post a slightly different question, but I'll add it here.

If I plan to only batch sparge in the near (and far) future, is there really a reason to go for the round beverage cooler as opposed to a rectangular? I can get a 54qt rectangular cooler (Coleman) for $25, versus $38 for the Home Depot round one everyone seems to have. Not a big diff, but it will cover the parts to outfit the cooler I think.

I likes me some IIPAs, so I know I'll need more than 5 gal, but when making smaller beers, say a Bitter with less than 10lb of grain, are there any drawbacks to that much headspace? Shallow bed depth play a role?

After listening to an old BN podcast with Denny Conn (who is on these boards somewhere) I'm tempted to go simple and cheap as it appears to me that there is not much disadvantage.

Opinions? Thanks.

Use the 5 gallon as an HLT. When you're mashing, heat your sparge water and store it in the 5 gallon cooler. Collect your wort in the kettle and start heating it while you're sparging. You will get the full volume to a boil 15-20 min sooner and cut some waiting time off your brew day.

Actually, I going to get two THD 10 gallon rubbermaids to make a HLT and a MLT.

Though, the idea of using my MLT as a HLT until I get the 10 gallon HLT done occurred to me, too.

I was about to post a slightly different question, but I'll add it here.

If I plan to only batch sparge in the near (and far) future, is there really a reason to go for the round beverage cooler as opposed to a rectangular? I can get a 54qt rectangular cooler (Coleman) for $25, versus $38 for the Home Depot round one everyone seems to have. Not a big diff, but it will cover the parts to outfit the cooler I think.

I likes me some IIPAs, so I know I'll need more than 5 gal, but when making smaller beers, say a Bitter with less than 10lb of grain, are there any drawbacks to that much headspace? Shallow bed depth play a role?

After listening to an old BN podcast with Denny Conn (who is on these boards somewhere) I'm tempted to go simple and cheap as it appears to me that there is not much disadvantage.

Opinions? Thanks.

A rectangular cooler is just as good as a round one. The only thing you want to make sure is that it is either one of the "extreme" versions, or that it has good, thick insulation. Some of the cheaper coolers are pretty damn thin. If you live in a warm climate, brew indoors, or do not brew on cold days it will work. If you ever plan on brewing outside when the temp is in the 40's or less, then you'll likely want the thicker walled cooler.

I was looking at those extreme types, and with the recessed channel it seemed pretty well suited for an MLT. But it was darned expensive comparing volume-to-volume for a normal cooler.

Any experience show it being worth the extra $? Or by throwing a sleeping bag or blanket over a "normal" cooler can you accomplish the same thing?

I was looking at those extreme types, and with the recessed channel it seemed pretty well suited for an MLT. But it was darned expensive comparing volume-to-volume for a normal cooler.

Any experience show it being worth the extra $? Or by throwing a sleeping bag or blanket over a "normal" cooler can you accomplish the same thing?

I have never used an extreme type cooler and have not suffered substantial temperature loss during the mash. The key is to preheat the cooler, any cooler for a good 15 minutes prior to mashing. Add strike water +15 - 20 degrees and let it come down to temp.

IMO sleeping bags and whatnot are not needed if you preheat. A 48 qt rectangular cooler, rubbermaid victory, 18 bucks will work fine!

Back