Wort Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panfishrfun

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a wort chiller that you hook up to the sink, I know metals can affect flavor, and I was wondering if they have an impact on the flavor of the beer. If so how much (can't be that much if a ton of people use them, right)? And do the different metals used to make them have different effects?
Thanks

I have a coper wort chiller, I boiled it in my pot and used vinegar to build up oxidation layer

did you coat it with vinegar right after you boiled it? I don't get that...sorry, Do you think a stainless steel (cheaper) version would be ok to use, or would it possibly have an effect

The vinegar will eat the oxidation coating. You would use it for the first use. After that, boil it in your wort for the last 15 minutes of each brew to sanitize it.

Do you think a stainless steel (cheaper) version would be ok to use, or would it possibly have an effect

From what I understand, stainless will cool a little slower than copper because it doesn't transfer heat as efficiently. I just ordered one and opted for stainless for price and also because it's a little sturdier.

I've used a copper I made for years.
now with copper prices its 50/50 build or buy.
I just got a second one made of stainless. In 2 5-gallon batches I haven't noticed any real difference in cooling speed. bigger boils it might have an effect, but with my water pressure/temps, nothing noticable.

the copper never added flavors and I cant imagine the SS will, I boil in stainless anyways.

I just bought one after researching building one. Whereas the guys were making them for a little over $25 before, the copper alone was going to cost me $38 at Home Depot. I might have been able to save pennies on one, but the hassle of building one and the chance (very real chance) of me screwing it up made my decision to order one easy. I got mine from NY Brew Supply for $49 delivered.

I just bought one after researching building one. Whereas the guys were making them for a little over $25 before, the copper alone was going to cost me $38 at Home Depot. I might have been able to save pennies on one, but the hassle of building one and the chance (very real chance) of me screwing it up made my decision to order one easy. I got mine from NY Brew Supply for $48 delivered.

When was this/how big is it? I'm looking at spending $75 on one. Granted I want mine to have a lot of copper for some fast chills.

I got a 25' 1/4" copper one from NY Brew for $34. Used it for the first time last weekend and got my 3 gallons of wort down to 80 in about 10 minutes.

Can you go into more detail about this? The oxidation coating thing I mean

Take a few pennies and soak them in some vinegar or lemon juice, or any other acid. They will get bright and shiny. The acid will remove the tarnish.

It's the same for the IC. You want to remove what you can ahead of time.

After that, boil in the wort for the last 15 minutes to sanitize it. It should stay relatively clean as long as you don't touch it all over and leave fingerprints, etc.

Each time you boil it it will remove the small amount that builds up. The yeast will eat that small amount during fermentation.

Any green stuff needs to be removed before use as well. You should not have any of that if you build or buy a new IC though.

well thanks for the info everyone...I bought a copper one, soaked it in a vinegar bath, now she's all shiny! Can't wait to use it on my Tripel!

Wort chillers are SOOOO nice. Used a homemade copper one on the IPA I just did, and it took it from KO to 80 in about 8 minutes flat.

Back