Is constantly adjusting the CO2 gauge normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
Okay, So I get by beer carbonated at about 10.5 psi and everything is fine and good. But when I fill a glass the pressure goes down pretty fast and it stays down. So I have to adjust the gauge a little bit to bring it back up to normal. This may be a retarded question, but is this normal? Adjusting the gauge back to where I want it every time I pull a brew? I thought the idea was that you set the gauge where you want it and it stays there. As I'm filling glasses the beer comes out slower and slower untill I have to stop and bring the pressure back up to pour again. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Doesn't sound normal to me at all. Sounds like a problem with the regulator to me. I haven't fiddled with mine since I set it at the pressure I like months ago.

S.T. Out said:
Okay, So I get by beer carbonated at about 10.5 psi and everything is fine and good. But when I fill a glass the pressure goes down pretty fast and it stays down. So I have to adjust the gauge a little bit to bring it back up to normal. This may be a retarded question, but is this normal? Adjusting the gauge back to where I want it every time I pull a brew? I thought the idea was that you set the gauge where you want it and it stays there. As I'm filling glasses the beer comes out slower and slower untill I have to stop and bring the pressure back up to pour again. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Did you turn off the main nob (close) on the CO2 bottle?

I can see the gage dropping a little but it should come back up to 10 1/2 pounds when the system equalizes. Only think I can figure is the regulator is not working correctly. Try disconnecting the keg and see what it does.

The pressure will not re-equalize instantly. Set it for your serving PSI, watch what it goes down to (say 9 psi). Come back in a bit and it should be back at your serving psi. Also remember if the regulator is in the fridge, there seems to be some slowness to how the CO2 gauge reacts (both up and down) because of the cold.

For instance, I set my reg to 12psi, but come back later and it's at 13.. because the needle was still climbing (albeit slowly).

Just to clarify, does actual the pressure in the keg go down, or does the guage register a much lower pressure after you pour a glass?

If the pressure goes down drastically, you should hear a large amount of gas going into the keg. This would be caused by a leak somewhere in the system. If there is only a slight noise of gas flowing into the keg, I suspect you have a bad pressure guage. You can pick up a replacement at Grainger for about $10.

Just my $0.02,

Matt

If everything is working correctly, once you set your regulator to your serving pressure and lock the nut so it can't easily be adjusted then your pressure shouldn't vary. At least not that you would notice at you taps.

Back