Quick question about batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
Ok so I did a partial mash brew and it was my first brew ever. :mug:

I understand how to achieve the proper strike temp and volume. I am more or less confused about the 2nd sparge temp after the first runnings. How do you figure out what temp to use. I know it is called mash out, but what does this temp do to the grain?

I understand that you achieve your full boil volume after you vorlouf and do this second rinse, and I know it pulls out more sugar. I just dont understand the temp part of it.

Can anybody help explain?

One of the great things about batch sparging is not having to worry about such things. I've used water ranging from 180 up to 210 without any bad affects.

All you are really doing in this step is rinsing the grains of the remaining sugar. I use water at 175 but I'm sure you can go higher as ErikH said. The reason for using heated water, as I understand it, is to disolve the solution more and get as many goodies as possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

All you are really doing in this step is rinsing the grains of the remaining sugar. I use water at 175 but I'm sure you can go higher as ErikH said. The reason for using heated water, as I understand it, is to disolve the solution more and get as many goodies as possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
You are correct sir :rockin:

Basicly, I think the hotter the better to disolve the sugar for a better rinse. However, the grain bed should not exceed 170 or tannins may be released.

That being said, I sparge around 180-185, and try to get the mash in the high 160 range.

Ok this clears up things a bit thanks. I was afraid of getting the wrong temp, and screwing up a future batch. I did a 2nd sparge around 185 the last time, but it took a while to drain. Does this raise grain above the 170 range?

It might, depends on the grain temperature & the relative amount of water. I use pH5.2 in the sparge water (and mash) & don't worry about tannins.

Thanks for the plug... I was about to drop it in here ;-)

It's really difficult to know what effect each infusion will have on the equilized temp without using software. There are just too many variables.

In general though, if you drain your MLT (first runnings) PRIOR to infusing any new water, the sparge can be ABOUT 180F without getting into the danger zone. This assumes your ending mash temp is under 158 already.

If you like the idea of a pre-runnings infusion, you can go really hot if the infusion is small (like a gallon at boiling temp) but I'm generalizing like a mo-fo and don't suggest it anyway.

Well I am still so new to all grain, and beer making period for that matter, that the software is somewhat still kind of confusing. I used the trial beersmith to calculate all of my strike temp to get my grains to 155F.

I also used the water needed under tools to get my total water amt. I did not however know my total dead space in the tun, and did not account for that so I came up at the end at 1.060 instead of 1.050. I just added top off to make up for this.

I am for sure going to take 1st runnings, and then sparge with additional water. I noticed some people break up the 2nd sparge into 2 batches, even at different temps sometimes . Is this for any reason other than trying to stay withing the 170 bracket?

Back