Ever meet anyone famous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have met someone famous?

I have a few stories.
After a Little River Band show in San Diego several years ago, as we were leaving I spotted lead singer Glenn Shorrock outside the back of the theater. I went up and started talking with him and he invited my wife and I back stage to meet the rest of the band. it was awesome. We hung out for about an hour or so.

Also shared a table and had a great conversation with T Bone Burnett after a show at the same venue.

A friend of mine was a costume supervisor in Hollywood for many years before he moved to Seattle to take a break from the movie industry. He later began working on film shoots in the Seattle area. He was hired on for the film ''Disclosure'' which was shot in Seattle a few years ago. He invited me on set and introduced me to director Barry Levinson and actors Michael Douglas and Demi Moore.

But the one that takes the cake...I pee'd next to Cory Feldman at the LA Coliseum during an Amnesty International concert back in the late 80's. It was so crowded and the women's restroom lines were so long that the ladies began using the men's room. I didn't realize who it was until he turned to me and said ''Dude, there's chicks in here''

I told him to take it easy. :)

I seem to always know people who have met famous people, but the closest I've come is an autograph signing with Hurley (Jorge Garcia) from lost. My SWMBO got pics with him, I didn't because I was taking the pics.

My sister's music teacher in high school was singer Jewel's father. Other than that, the most famous person I've probably met is the head brewer from Naked City Brewing in Seattle, WA.:mug:

I once met the entire acting crew of a famed asian soap series while on an island vacation in Malaysia. Does that count?

Not exactly but...
I was sitting at a stoplight in Atlanta one day and looked over at this guy in some kind of exotic sports car and thought he looked like Chris Tucker. I did a double take and looked back again to see him nodding as if to say, "yep I'm who you think I am"

For a long time I thought I hadn't met anyone famous then I found a familar name in a Guiness book of records. It was a cousin of mine I met twice in my whole life. He was the first astronaut to use the jetpack untethered to the shuttle. Ok, it's not famous in the useless Paris Hilton sense, but still cool. I called him and asked why he didn't tell me he was a fricken astronaut the two times we met (relatives simply said, oh he works for NASA in passing like he was pencil pusher or something).

Oh, I sat 3 rows away from Robert Plant on a flight to LA two weeks ago. I didn't "meet" him though.

LTC David Hackworth, retired (now deceased). Nice guy, great sense of humor.

Got him to sign a Soldier's Manual of Basic Tasks.

/bonus points if you know why that is significant

//Isn't there already one of these threads around here somewhere?

I met Tommy Thompson (former Gov of WI and one time on the president's cabinet). He's a prick. So is Barry Alvarez--- UW Madison Football coach.

I spent 2 days with Terry Pratechett, author of the Discworld books. Also spent time with Jon Kovolic (cartoonist). David Weber (Sci Fi author) and I had a few beers once. Had a Tor book editor Jim Frenkel over to my house for new years day (he now loves Rock band). Through him I've met several sci fi authors.

There are more notables I've met biut can't recall right now. Mostly nice folks with the occasional prick thrown in.

My friend works for Joe Rogan (stand up comedian, UFC announcer and host of Fear Factor). Whenever he is around the Columbus area or I go to LA I usually get to hang out with Joe, UFC fighters and many stand up comedians.... Charlie Murphy, Kramer from Seinfeld (I saw him in LA the night before the N word incident, Dave Chapelle, Pauly Shore...etc. The LA comedy scene is crazy.

Bobby_M said:
Oh, I sat 3 rows away from Robert Plant on a flight to LA two weeks ago. I didn't "meet" him though.

I gotta know...

Does that mean you were flying first class, or was he flying coach? ;)

I have one client with his own page on wikipedia (underground cartoonist, very interesting guy), and work with a handful of other clients who have a fair amount of fame in their particular lines of business, but no one who would truly be considered "famous."

Not mine, but 15 years ago, BIL flew next to Chuck Berry... and they had a 2-hr long conversation, on a bunch of different subjects, like raising kids...!

CB was as down-to-earth as usually portrayed, said BIL.

the_bird said:
I gotta know...

Does that mean you were flying first class, or was he flying coach? ;)

I have one client with his own page on wikipedia (underground cartoonist, very interesting guy), and work with a handful of other clients who have a fair amount of fame in their particular lines of business, but no one who would truly be considered "famous."

First class... the one and only time I EVER got the damn upgrade for having onepass silver.

Many years ago while at dinner in Naples, Fl. I met Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidmann. They were sitting at the next table.
My FIL was listed in the first issue of "Business 2.0" magazine as one of the 20 most influencial minds of the new economy, and he's met everyone (I think).

It's very hard to define "famous" now a days. The average person wouldn't consider Charlie Papizian famous but most people here would recall that day for a while.

My favorite author, Robert Jordan, and he's holding my (former) license plate which is related to his series...

normal_p4060053.jpg

I sat behind Bart Starr on a flight from PHX to DAL.
SWMBO saw Alice Cooper at our local Costco.

I routinely peed next to John McCain because our offices were in the same building.

All of these guys are short.

I've met or bumped into many. Being in Nashville, I've met several country stars.
I've had lots of them come into the restaurants I used to manage. I've met Reba, Joe Diffie, George Jones and others. Also had Chuck Barris from the Newlywed Game and Dawn Wells from Giligan's Island come in for dinner.

I went motorcycle riding with Lyle Lovett and a small group of about 8 others. Lyle bought me breakfast. That was pretty cool. I made lunch for him a couple of weeks later before we opened the restaurant after another ride.

Vince Gill and Amy Grant go to my church and I see them fairly often. Neil O'Donnell also goes to our church and I used to run into him all the time when our kids where in the same preschool.

When I lived in LA, I met Wilfred Brimley and all most ran over Michael Keaton at a Lakers game coming out of the mens room. He's one short dude.

I've never been one to get star struck with famous people though. Most of the time someone has to tell me who they are or were.

Drank a beer next to Jam Master Jay after a concert in OKC, didn't meet him he just stood next to me and my buddy, it was kinda cool.

SD

Charlie Hunter, all of Soulive, Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, Mike Gordon (Phish), Marc Summers, Aaron Chang, Donnie Baseball, and probably some more that escape me. Mostly obscure people...

Got to meet Buddy Rich. Kind of disappointing. He was pretty much a jerk.

Got drunk one night with the group Syro-Gyra 1994 version. That was fun.

JW

Wife met Vince Gill, Amy grant, I was talking to Naomi Judd in Nashville during the Dickens Christmas festival downtown, didn't realize who it was until my wife told me.....

Saw Dog the Bounty Hunter on the beach in Hawaii.....

His wife was in a 2 piece..:eek: she did not need to be wearing that

Gene Simmons from Kiss, Mark Slaughter from his group....

Martin Sheen, Van halen (with Sammy Hagar)

and a few others......

Most are just regular people....except for Sammy, every other word was a cuss word.......
he thought the world revolved around him.....

:mug: When I was in grade school, our coach used to take us to Hayward field where the Olympic trials will be held soon. I of course saw Pre and a guy named Dick Fosbury of "Fosbury Flop" high jumping fame. But the one I remember was O.J. Simpson was on the USC relay team. I remember getting his autograph on a track program but you know I was just a dumb kid and did not realize how much I could hock that sucker for on Ebay today.:( And I sure would:mug: .

Remember Jefferson Airplane? Jorma? He now has a band called Hot Tuna and I know his press agent. I've met Jorma a couple of times. Nice guy. My now-hubby (who is older than I...a fact I remind him of every chance I get) was FLOORED that I'd shot the **** with Jorma. I mean, I barely knew who he was, then Hubbo's freaking out when I email him the photo. That part was cool!

Frankly, I was more excited to meet Pat Donahue, who was playing a show at Jorma's place. That man is an awesomely talented fingerpick guitarist.

I've met Fred Eckhardt, Randy Mosher, and Steve Grossman. I stood next to Patrick Ewing in the cafeteria line at Georgetown University. I remember looking up at him and remarking "You are one big guy" and I'm 6'4".

I met Lorne Green in an airport lounge decades ago. Nice guy.

I've met a bunch of well known people, most of them while working as a stagehand at college and/or through the USAF. A few notable ones:

Chuck Yeager
Robin Olds
Ralph Wandrey (living WWII ace)
James Earl Jones (speaks with a stutter!!!)
Joe Rudi (played for the A's in their 70's heyday)
Debbe Dunning (the "Tool Time" girl after Pam Anderson)
Charlie Daniels
Brooks & Dunn
The members of: Blackhawk, Jars of Clay, Collective Soul, Marcy Playground, and a few others that slip my mind
Last but not least? Bill Clinton

I just found out that a personal "hero" of mine lives right here in small town NM and hangars his airplane right down the road from my house. I need to get a mutual friend to introduce me to Richard Finch (author of several books on welding).

Yuri_Rage said:
I've met a bunch of well known people, most of them while working as a stagehand at college and/or through the USAF. A few notable ones:

Chuck Yeager
Robin Olds
Ralph Wandrey (living WWII ace)
James Earl Jones (speaks with a stutter!!!)
Joe Rudi (played for the A's in their 70's heyday)
Charlie Daniels
Brooks & Dunn
The members of: Blackhawk, Jars of Clay, Collective Soul, Marcy Playground, and a few others that slip my mind

I just found out that a personal "hero" of mine lives right here in small town NM and hangars his airplane right down the road from my house. I need to get a mutual friend to introduce me to Richard Finch (author of several books on welding).

My FIL has an invitation from Bill and Hillary to the G-8 dinner in Denver. So I asked my FIL" so you went to the G-8 dinner" and he said " no I was busy so we sent someone else" and I said " you turned down a Presidential invititation" and he said "that time":D

Randy Johnson
Rick Shroeder
Dave Mustaine
Kurt Warner
Stevie Nicks
Cindy McCain
Jennifer Garner
John McCain

All I can think of atm. The nicest one was Kurt Warner, really nice guy. All of them were nice however.

Lots of top-notch bluegrass pickers including Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, J.D. Crowe, Sonny Osborne, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush. The list goes on and on.
Here's a shot of David Grisman and myself.

MeDavid2.jpg

I caddied for Phil Donahue when I was 15 at the Vince Lombardi golf Classic. What kind of tip did I get?

$50. :mad:

My buddy got $100 from a guy that owned a rubber mold company.

Let's see...

I met George Bush (sr.) when I was in high school. Shook his hand. He's at least 6'4", but never looked tall on TV.

Chatted with Bart Starr and his wife between flights at ATL (he was very gracious as he got approached so often during the half hour I sat next to them, never turning down autographs, cell phone pictures, etc.).

Also seen in airport lounges or flown on planes with:
Chris Berman (ESPN)
John Lee Hooker
Kid Rock
Chris Chelios (NHL)
Keyshawn Johnson (NFL)
Alan Greenspan
Most of Earth Wind & Fire (in coach!)
A few Senators and Congressmen/women

I never realized how many famous people I met until I sat here thinking about it.

Richard Gere
Zach de la Rocha and Tom Morrello
Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys
Perry Farrell
Thom York
Bill Clinton several times
Lauren Graham from Bad Santa and Gilmore Girls
Sissy Spacek
Zach Braff
Billy Campbell
Dave Matthews
James Carville
John Grisham (such a pompous *******)
Steven Tyler
David Bowie
Scott Weiland
Chris Rock

Ive met Hootie from H and the Blowfish, all of slipknot all of lamb of god all of Slayer, umm Ted Nugent, Richard Dreyfus, Mitt Romney, Tony Stewart, Magic Johnson, all of journey except Steve Perry, sean Resfert, Mateen Cleaves, John Smoltz, Justin Verlander, Magglio Ordonez, Tom Izzo.....I think thats it

When I was about 5 years old, Walter Payton got down on one knee and asked me to guard his sport jacket because he didn't trust all the reporters and he was afraid they would try to steal it..

I met Jay Leno on the ramp of Midway airport late at night. We hung out for 10 or 15 minutes while he waited for someone to pick him up.

I briefly met Wesley Snipes and Vanessa Williams.

I smoked weed with Moe-Z, John Mellencamp's keyboardist.

I met Drew Brees on numerous occasions (went to college together)

I met some guy at a bar in downtown Chicago who couldn't believe I didn't know who he was... and had never heard of him. And then I told him I didn't care. I then went back to my beer. But, apparently, he was somebody pretty famous.

I sat a row away from Jim Belushi at a Bears game.

I have a couple of pictures taken with Chasey Lain.

I shook hands with Lorne Michaels.

I used to work at a one hour photo lab in Palm Beach Gardens over 10 years ago.

Met Gary Carter, catcher for some baseball team. He and his wife used to drop off film for processing. The manager asked me if I knew who it was...told him no. He said "That's Gary Carter."... I asked "Who's that?" I'm not a baceball fan.

Met Alfie Wise once (he was in a few Burt Reynolds flicks back in the day). Recognized his voice. From what I've heard, he's into real estate in the area.

Last one was Susan Luci's mom. Older woman came in for some disposable cameras that were on sale. We were out of stock. The manager took over to make out some rainchecks for them. Came back to me, said "That was Susan Luci's mom!! She's gonna bring me an autographed picture when she come back!"
I razed her about believing this old woman with illusions of grandur. Couple weeks later, in she comes with the pic.

Actually, ollllo, now that you mention it.... I *was* 17 at the time..... hmmmm....

Way to crap on my childhood memories! :p :p

Bobby_M said:

You didn't happen to overhear him talking about touring with some unknown musicians this year?:D

I met George Bush (sr.) when I was in high school. Shook his hand. He's at least 6'4", but never looked tall on TV
:cross: I kind of figured W. got strained through the sheets.:off: :D

Sir Humpsalot said:
When I was about 5 years old, Walter Payton got down on one knee and asked me to guard his sport jacket because he didn't trust all the reporters and he was afraid they would try to steal it.
Damn, that's cool. When I was five the only famous person I got to meet was Margaret Thatcher. She was terrifying.

Back