No Sign of Fermentation: two days post pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmax25

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a couple of years now and have brewed many batches.

I always use Wyeast smack packs and most of the time I make starters, but for a long time, I never made them.

I just brewed a Kolsch on Friday and I didn't make a starter for this beer. It was a low gravity beer (1044) and I didn't have any DME to make a starter. I figured, I didn't make starters for many of my beers before this, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, two days later, I see no sign of fermentation at all. Nothing. I have never seen this before. I ferment in craboys so I can see what is happening and I see NOTHING.

I pitched at 64degrees and used Wyeast's Kolsch strain (2565). I smacked the pack hours before the pitch.

Did I get dead yeast? What should I do?

Can take 48-72hrs to show signs, have you taken gravity readings?

I've had a few beers that were completely still, looked like nothing was going on for over 2 days, then within a matter of an hour were making full use of the blowoff tube. Not all the time, or even frequently, but I've had it happen.

I'm guessing the pack did not swell at all, if you are asking if the yeast was dead?

I know you've been brewing for a while, but there is a sticky on the forums that says fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start.

I would give it another day and check the gravity to see if it has changed at all before doing anything else.

I had a brown ale in a carboy that fermented over night. There were no signs of krausen, bubbles, swirling gook in the carboy. I was convinced I needed to repitch, but the guys at the LHBS talked me into taking some readings before doing anything. It had dropped 35 points in a day and a half with out giving any 'signs'.

Granted, this has not been typical, but it can happen.

Back