Helles Belles flavor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskysibe

Reaction score
I brewed BierMuchers Helles Belles to the letter, Its pretty tasty but I have a strange soapy taste up front where you would normally get that little bit of hop bite in a Helles. Could it be from the residual starsan left in the keg? I am hoping some age will make it go away, its still drinkable and pretty dang good.

Billy

Wouldn't be from the Star San. Did you clean with PBW or OxiClean or with regular soap? I don't think you can easily make it go away other than perhaps with time.

Also, quick note. Soapy flavors can come from the yeast:

From Yooper:

One of the things that can cause a soapy taste in beer (besides soap in cleaning the equipment!) is from the breakdown of yeast byproducts. There are fats/lipids in there, and if you remember your chemistry, saponification of lipids = soap.

In other words, if you got a bit warm during or after fermentation, the lipids could saponify, literally making soap. You could really be tasting soap from the breakdown of fatty acids.

Also check out: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

It may also be soap on the drinking glass.

Another thing I was wondering about is the age of the beer. If it's still green then the off-flavor may fade with time.

Yeah the beer is still green. I dont think theres soap on the glass as it has been with every glass I have used and theres plenty of head retention. Maybe its because of what Yooper said.

Back