Blackberry/ grape wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sboutot

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to start making wine since forever and so I finally did with mixed results. I mixed 17lbs of fresh store-bought red grapes, 4 pounds of fresh blackberries and three cans pure grape juice concentrate. I mushed it all together and added enough water to being it up to the five gallon mark on my bucket. Then I added enough sugar to bring the SG to 1.100. Then tested acidity, adjusted, added 5 Camden tablets, let sit for 24 hours and added a packet of brewers yeast. I kept it at around 75-80 degrees in a bucket with an airlock stirring the cap once a day. The yeast was working awesome for about three days and then it just stopped. So after day 5 I tested the SG got about .100
And put it into the secondary. It tastes like wine already, but it just seems like there should still be some bubbles still or something. This is my first batch of wine so if anybody has anything it would be awesome.

When you say you tested the SG do you mean it was 1.00 (not .100)? Not sure, maybe using brewers yeast was a quicker fermentation, I'm a little surprised that the SG made it down as low as 1.00 if that's where it's at, by using brewers yeast(due to alcohol tolerance). If it tastes like wine, smells like wine, and looks like wine, it must be wine, but I'd wait a few weeks then rack it into a new container. Normally I've heard store bought grapes aren't great for wine due to lack of natural sugars and high acidity compared to wine grapes.

Well the good news Is that it's settling very nicely and clearing up. In a few weeks I'll rack it and we will see how it goes.

Back