The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only people that believe soccer is going to be the next big thing are unfortunately, delusional. It isn't a coincidence that U.S. soccer-guy weighs in @ roughly a buck 65, and is 5'11... Had they been bigger, faster, or stronger they would have without a doubt have played football.

Dufrenes, party of 2?

The problem isn't that our biggest and strongest athletes play other sports, as those aren't necessary qualities in soccer. Cristiano Ronaldo is 6'1" and is taller than any other top offensive player I could think of. The problem is that all of America's smaller, nimbler athletes think they can play in the NBA or NFL at 5'9". Repurpose our undersized point guards and option quarterbacks into fullbacks and attacking midfielders, and we'd still be playing.

As long as MLS' highest paid player(Clint Dempsey)makes $6.6 million and Clayton Kershaw(LA Dodgers) banks @ 7 years, $215 million, $30.7 million annually, MLS will always fall short athletically. The little guys trying to play big guy sports will always happen whenever people believe they can fly if they only want it hard enough.

Dufrenes, party of 2?

Reno, have you had a chance to make it to a Timbers match yet? The crowds there are awesome. Look, I agree with a lot what you're saying about developing the league here. It's been fun to watch the growth since the '94 World Cup. I just want the players on our national team to get more experience playing at higher levels. Having grown up in South America, I'd love to see the clubs be able to sign and develop children. Probably won't ever happen here, but it works.

That's where Klinsmann is going to push and probably a big reason there's so many negative things said about him. I wouldn't be shocked if NCAA isn't behind it as he doesn't want people to just play for a scholarship. He wants kids to develop under a uniform system as they do in other countries. We have advantages and complications that other countries don't, how Klinsmann and his crew handle the youth will be the biggest part of his dynasty. our results in this world cup and the next is icing on the cake. If they change our youth system, keep kids from going thte scholarship route and so on so forth.

The youth system also presents a unique advantage in recruiting from the inner city. Kids if they're given a way to make money for their family, to be put through school, and play for a professional sports team we could steal some very talented athletes who may not have made the NBA or NFL and instead have them play soccer and have the skills needed.

As long as MLS' highest paid player(Clint Dempsey)makes $6.6 million and Clayton Kershaw(LA Dodgers) banks @ 7 years, $215 million, $30.7 million annually, MLS will always fall short athletically. The little guys trying to play big guy sports will always happen whenever people believe they can fly if they only want it hard enough.

MLS has only been around about 20 years. MLB is far more storied. MLS has been slowly growing and should keep going that way.

Do you not think the performance of Besler, Gonzilla, Yedlin, Dempsey, etc. won't interest some of the more casual fans to consider following MLS? If you don't well you're wrong. The key for MLS though is getting people to go to the stadiums. Every fan I know who goes to a soccer game falls for it. It's far and away the best sporting event I've been to aside from maybe college sports. And you don't have to recruit the best athletes in America. You realize the number of guys we have that go and play basketball internationally or in lower basketball leagues who makes way less money than MLS players do? Or the guys who spend their careers toiling in the minors in baseball. or give themselves injuries playing amatuer football?

Soccer if handled right could latch on quite easily and MLS would be the biggest beneficiary immediately and Europe and the World would secondarily benefit because America being a top flight soccer nation means a ton of added money for FIFA.

Reno, have you had a chance to make it to a Timbers match yet? The crowds there are awesome. Look, I agree with a lot what you're saying about developing the league here. It's been fun to watch the growth since the '94 World Cup. I just want the players on our national team to get more experience playing at higher levels. Having grown up in South America, I'd love to see the clubs be able to sign and develop children. Probably won't ever happen here, but it works.
It is already happening here. Most teams have academies, most of which go to U-14 or lower. Philadelphia Union even have a highschool academy. I want our big talent to stay here and make this league a place where kids WANT to train and WANT to stay. If we keep saying "oh just ship them to Europe" we're never going to improve as a nation. We need a big league with a big presence that shows you can make a living or make it big in domestic soccer, where otherwise they would have gone to one of the big 4. There are so many interviews with athletes in the top of their sport saying their first love was soccer and they wish it was lucrative enough back then.

And no, never been to a live PTFC match. But it's certainly on my checklist. I think we're going to plan to hit each Best Coast stadium in the 2015 season when LA visits. Bummed that SJ won't use Stanford next year since their new soccer-specific stadium will be ready for 2015 but I love seeing new digs. I always follow stadium construction threads on BigSoccer. I'm a huge stadium and kit geek.

I don't think Miami is going to work. Putting pro sports in Florida always sounds great, but Florida sports fans are interested in three things: the northern team from the city they grew up in, college football, and why the NFL won't give Tebow a chance. I do think it could do well in Minneapolis, St Louis, Detroit, and a few mid-sized cities that don't have multiple pro teams now.

Atlanta and Houston are pretty similar. When you're winning, we've loved you forever. When you're not, we forget you exist. And either way, we care about pro football more than anything else. I'd like the MLS to grow, so maybe I should support the Dynamo, but I really don't. I have become a pretty committed EPL viewer, if that counts for anything.
Orlando City SC is currently a third-tier team and can still put 20k+ butts in seat. I think their market is just fine ;) Not only that but they picked up Kaka. Perfect addition for a heavily-Brazilian demographic.

And you should give Houston a try. Gorgeous stadium, quality players (two players in WC), solid fanbase, downtown location. It's a 9 hour drive (at least) to get to my club. I'm insanely jealous of people that live in MLS cities and can hop on public transportation and go to a match. And it's frustrating when there are soccer fans in that situation that ignore it ಠ_ಠ

But of all the expansion cities, I'd say those that are the most promising and have made the biggest push are (in descending order) Minneapolis, Sacramento, and Las Vegas. Minneapolis has had D2 or D3 for some time and consistently draw good crowds. Sacramento have a D3 team that plays entertaining soccer, has maybe the best name/logo/colors combo in North American soccer, and also consistently drew around 20k fans before moving to their more-suited-for-soccer home. Vegas has a very prominent ownership group wanting to bring in professional soccer. They have a proposed downtown lot that already has public transportation, stadium renderings, etc. I think it could work there if marketed right... after all, it's a very very transient city.

MLS has only been around about 20 years.
This. This is no point in arguing that [insert "traditional" American sport] does better than MLS. Every other league has decades more history and family-lineage support. In one more generation it might not be unlikely to hear "We're a NYRB/PTFC/OCSC/etc. family" much like the NFL is today.

Every World Cup we set records for viewership on ESPN and every time there's an overflow of interest that spills in to MLS. This will become a soccer nation.

Even if you ignore the growing interest from younger Americans in soccer, the changing demographics of the country is evidence that America will become a soccer nation. As people from soccer nations come to US and raise the bar and interest there will beimprovement and with improvement comes more people who want in.

As I highlighted above a well targeted inner city campaign from places like Philly, NYC, Chicago, etc. to try to poach some kids who want to get out by the way of sports and give them an alternative instead of trying to be one of the few under 6 foot tall players in the NFL or NBA.

MLS is only stories to people who pay attention. If you see TV ratings, which is where most big boy sports organizations get their primary revenues from, MLS doesn't even move the needle. The common American doesn't watch or care for soccer. That's okay, though! People get to emotional about games for which they aren't even a part of. *Remember, FAN is short for FANATIC. Just breathe.

The only things that could change that is, people veering their children away from contact sports for fear of life threatening injuries, and it has affected Pop Warner sign-ups a bit. But, MLS is in no way about to overtake any of the top three sports in the USA.

The only people who say MLS is "far more storied" than MLB, NFL, or NBA are 5'9 dudes named Todd or Nick that hope one day all those dumb football players will be envious of little guys kicking a ball around. Grab 50 random people 18-35 off the street and they'll be able to name more MLB stadiums than they could teams or even players in MLS.

Dufrenes, party of 2?

MLS ratings aren't moving the needle, but they just signed a new big deal with ESPN. Man that ESPN always makes bad business decisions.

And I don't think anyone has said that MLS is more storied than any of the big 4 sports. So maybe you need to take a breather and not argue things that no one is talking about.

MLS is only stories to people who pay attention. If you see TV ratings, which is where most big boy sports organizations get their primary revenues from, MLS doesn't even move the needle. The common American doesn't watch or care for soccer. That's okay, though! People get to emotional about games for which they aren't even a part of. *Remember, FAN is short for FANATIC. Just breathe.

The only things that could change that is, people veering their children away from contact sports for fear of life threatening injuries, and it has affected Pop Warner sign-ups a bit. But, MLS is in no way about to overtake any of the top three sports in the USA.

The only people who say MLS is "far more storied" than MLB, NFL, or NBA are 5'9 dudes named Todd or Nick that hope one day all those dumb football players will be envious of little guys kicking a ball around. Grab 50 random people 18-35 off the street and they'll be able to name more MLB stadiums than they could teams or even players in MLS.

More storied? Nobody is saying that. We're using it's less storied history as a point that it's made it this big in 20 short years.

I apologize if I've offended anyone. Personally, I grew up playing soccer, and in part of high school, but was a collegiate American Football player. I dig fútbol, but I wish that things were structured differently to allow lower income, and inner city children be introduce to more soccer.

For that, I always pull for the more politically struggling countries in the World Cup...it just seems more meaningful. My bad for stepping on toes!

Dufrenes, party of 2?

Hopefully tomorrows matches are a bit more exciting... wasn't the best soccer today, though at least there was a bit of drama at the end of each match as teams tried for the equalizer...

Not a lot of pretty play from Brazil and Colombia...which was surprising... three goals, but none from the run of play.

all this crying in soccer, confirms it for me. it's a girls sport

Yeah, those handegg guys sure are tough with their 50 pounds of padding.

You try running 10-15 miles and then have somebody crack you in the leg at full speed. It's going to f**king hurt. Not only that but it's the only break they get aside from halftime.

The average handegg game has 12 minutes of actual play. TWELVE MINUTES for a game that should take an hour but lasts four. And they only play half of that or less depending if they're on offense or defense (what, you can't play both?) And they play for 5 seconds at a time and take a break. And can swap players out on a whim.

Sounds like a girly sport to me.

all this crying in soccer, confirms it for me. it's a girls sport

Try harder next time...

brett-favre.jpg

knowshon-moreno-crying-huge-tears.jpg

tom-brady-crying-elite-daily.jpg

Tony-Romo-crying-615x300.jpg

In other news Neymar out for the rest of the WC with a fractured vertebrae. Missing him and Silva means the Brazilians are going to have a very hard time against the Germans.

In other news Neymar out for the rest of the WC with a fractured vertebrae. Missing him and Silva means the Brazilians are going to have a very hard time against the Germans.

Yeah.... the Germans are certainly the favorite to reach the finals now... and Brazil's home winning streak is in dire jeopardy.

Yeah, those handegg guys sure are tough with their 50 pounds of padding.

You try running 10-15 miles and then have somebody crack you in the leg at full speed. It's going to f**king hurt. Not only that but it's the only break they get aside from halftime.

The average handegg game has 12 minutes of actual play. TWELVE MINUTES for a game that should take an hour but lasts four. And they only play half of that or less depending if they're on offense or defense (what, you can't play both?) And they play for 5 seconds at a time and take a break. And can swap players out on a whim.

Sounds like a girly sport to me.
waa waa waa....too much crying and flopping for me. I knock you down, you grab your shin, you begin to show agony, then your teammates help you up on your feet, play resumes, wow look at you run, you never got hurt. How come the rugby guys don't cry like your team does?

waa waa waa....too much crying and flopping for me. I knock you down, you grab your shin, you begin to show agony, then your teammates help you up on your feet, play resumes, wow look at you run, you never got hurt. How come the rugby guys don't cry like your team does?

Are we really going to do this again?

If you don't like the game no one is making you watch it and no one is making you post in this thread. If all you're going to do is regurgitate all the tired anti-soccer talking points then kindly do us all a favor and GTFO!

Ok, I'm taking:

Belgium

and

The Netherlands today....

I will be rooting for:

Argentina

and

Costa Rica

Happy final quarter finals day!

Is it 1994 again?

I love one touch goals when there's some power behind the kick. Anyone can deflect in a goal off their shin or heel, but one touch blasts take some skill.

A few things, AZ:

1) Indeed

2) I love your new avatar. I've been wanting to say something for a while but always space it.

3) Is it weird that I always read your screen name as "AH-ZEH IPA"? You know, like the Dutch club AZ Alkmaar that Aron Johannsson plays for and Jozy used to play for.

4) Can I have a cookie?

Really disappointed with Colombia yesterday, they blew it. None of the heart and pizzazz of their previous matches. And Brazil wins at the cost of silva and neymar? That is what I call a Pyrrhic victory

Would loooooove to see Costa Rica upset the Netherlands today.....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back