Sorachi Ace...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just won 5oz of 2009 Sorachi Ace pellet hops, 10.7%, on eBay for a grand total of $5.45. Either way it's a score, and I've heard great things about this hop around the forum.

Not being an IPA guy, I as thinking about using them in a nice light lager. any opinions?

I got some of those in my freezer also. I was gonna make a pale ale or an IPA with them. It's one of those hops that's hard to find in recipes. I've never seen them in any recipes. i'll be watching this one to see if anyone comes up with something good

I just won 5oz of 2009 Sorachi Ace pellet hops, 10.7%, on eBay for a grand total of $5.45. Either way it's a score, and I've heard great things about this hop around the forum.

Not being an IPA guy, I as thinking about using them in a nice light lager. any opinions?

I've wanted to try making a Saison with this hop since trying Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn:

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/news2?id=23

Super dry, big lemon notes in the nose and taste. Great stuff, very unique.

I use them in a light lager. The recipe is under my avatar. Rather than aiming to replicate a cheap American Lager, this is styled after a cheap European lager. It always does well in competitions. With the amount of SA that I use in the recipe, it is very subtle, and the lemony notes are only noticble one the beer warms up.

Airborne, I gt about 6 different types of hops in my freezer. If you ever need a hop and don't wanna wait, lemme know. I stocked up the last few months on sales I just couldn't pass up. No bulk grain though, since I don't have a mill, but I'm trying to solve that problem now. You probably brew more often than I do, so help me get rid of some of these hops. If you wanna know what types I have lemme know

I use them in a light lager. The recipe is under my avatar. Rather than aiming to replicate a cheap American Lager, this is styled after a cheap European lager.

I was thinking something along the lines of Sam Adams Noble Pils, just with the lemony Sorachi Ace, as opposed to the spicy noble hops.

Airborne, I gt about 6 different types of hops in my freezer. If you ever need a hop and don't wanna wait, lemme know. I stocked up the last few months on sales I just couldn't pass up. No bulk grain though, since I don't have a mill, but I'm trying to solve that problem now. You probably brew more often than I do, so help me get rid of some of these hops. If you wanna know what types I have lemme know

Thanks for the offer man. I have at least 4lbs of hops in my fridge now, so I'm good for now. Let me know when you get the grain mill. We've been getting bulk grains VERY cheap.

I've not used it in a lager. But it does make for an interesting hop in pale ales with wheat. SA does have high bittering power, so watch how long you use it in the boil.

Back