Strait A cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Its a rinse free cleasner I got from the LHBS and it says its rinse free, but it also says harmful if swallowed. I used it to sanitize my bottles. Has anyone used this stuff?

For most of the no-rinse products (the ones I've used anyway) the harmful when swallowed usually refers to a particular concentration (such as the concentrated solution in the container) and/or a particular volume. The small amounts remaining after you sanitize are not sufficient to be dangerous.

That said I've never used that particular product. If you're concerned there is almost always a phone number on the product container for more detailed information.

I think Straight A is more of a cleaner than a sanitizer. I use it to get labels off of bottles. As far as I know you need to rinse it off with warm water.

Yeah, no, dude, Straight A is definitely rinse-required (though it won't kill you, it might screw with your yeast and prevent good carb-ing). You may be thinking of OneStep, which is no-rinse. That is also made by the same company, which is un-helpfully sold in ALMOST THE SAME packaging. Grrr... (Having bought 2 packets of Straight A without looking at them...)

Schlenkerla said:
Definately Rinse!

Here is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/homebrew.html

Your LHBS must have confused it with One-Step. Like Pfunky said, both are made by the same people.

I would tell the shop keeper that he is wrong too. Its a good way to ruin a batch of beer and an easy way to turn off a newby to the hobby.

Sorry I think it is easy clean.. I mixed it up based on the packaging. Thats said, is rinsing crucial??

It depends on what its made of chemical-wise. I'm not familar easy clean, I would guess yes, rinsing required, but you should look into it more online or wait to see what the other knows about this product.

Back