Finished my 3rd brew (chocolate smoked porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well I bottled up my chocolate smoked porter on Wed, and they are now bottle conditioning. It started off as a chocolate chili porter, however after tasting the wort on bottling day all the chipotles and anchos really did was create a nice smokey aftertaste and probably some sweetness from the anchos. Tasting the wort I think it tasted better than any of the wort from my previous two batches, so I can't wait till this bad boy is carbonated and ready for drinking. Below is the recipe that I ended up brewing. Really it was just a modified kit that I added a pound of dark dme and the seasonings to.

Chocolate Chipotle Porter In primary for 2 weeks

3lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract
4lbs Dark Dry Malt extract
1lb Mutons Dark Malt Extract
1lb Black Patent Malt (grain)
1oz Galena Hops (bittering) @boil
1oz Tettnanger (flavor) @45 Min

(peppers were boiled in a small pot of water with about a cup of the pepper tea added to the secondary along with the peppers. Boiling the peppers allowed them to soften up and easily fit into the glass carboy.)
3 Dried Chipotle Peppers (in secondary) 4 days
2 Dried Ancho Peppers (in secondary) 4 days
4-6oz Raw Cacoa Nibs (in secondary) 4 days

Below are the notes I took along the way.

- Sat 3 July 1.071 @ 68*
- Thursday 8 July 1.038 @ 68*
- 1.071 OG, 1.038 FG ABV 4.66 (Target 1.018 approx). (target based off of kit target before I added a pound of dark dme)
- Nice standard porter flavor with hints of coffee and chocolate

21 July FG 1.021 Final ABV 6.95

i seen this on the brewing network or something, gotta let us know how it turned out, sounds interesting...again:)

Latest posts

Back