Cones per oz.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
By searching around on this site, I found....

~250 wet cones per pound (of course this is based on many variables)
16 oz per pound
~6:1 dry to wet ratio

Yields 94 cones per oz once dried.

This sounds high to me, but I have only ever used pellet hops.

Just wanted to see how many hops I need to see as buds to try to get 1 oz in my 1st year.

Can anyone confirm or give a better number?

Thanks!

Doesn't sound all that off to me. IIRC, an ounce of dried hops are about a quart before being vacuum sealed.

96 might be a little high? I've heard 1:4 or 1:5 wet:dry ratio myself. Makes sense, as when you dry, one targets for ~80% weight reduction. This give 64-80 cones per ounce.

94 cones per 1 oz of dry hops???....how many cones does 1 plant typically produce...

Cone size makes a HUGE difference and varies GREATLY by variety. The info. Dan posted is consistent with what I see, with Zues being the exception. I harvested around 50 cones from that (first year, 6 ft. tall) plant last year and had 1 1/2 oz. dried. A few of the cones were a full three inches long and at least an inch in diameter. Cascade seem to be on the high end size-wise and my Sterling, Centennial, Mt. Hood, and Golding fall somewhere on the lower end of the range. I think I'd need about 800 Hallertau cones to make an ounce;).

if you weight out ounces of dry whole hops from pounds off hopsdirect there has got to be at least 75 dry hops in one ounce.

Any new thoughts on this?

Sure. Lots of variables, but there is a number. Once we throw out ask, chacha and yahoo, we find that the ag business does have how many per pound data on various crops.

I'll be looking.

Because. :D

I mean, if I said it took a million hops to make one once, people would say that's nuts. A hop weighs more than that. If I said I grew a hop that weighed one once, dry, people would demand to see a picture on a certified scale. A hop doesn't weigh that much. See? There is a number. A ballpark figure, sure, but a number.

My eyes are burning looking for that number.

Back