Wine yeast to finish off high gravity beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
Is there any downside to this? I've heard it might cause create sulfur production and from others that it will dry out the beer too much. I would have to think that wines ferment to dryness because of the simplicity of the sugars, not the yeast, but i'm not sure about sulfur and wine yeast. Any help would be appreciated. I've got an imperial stout at 1.037 that i'd like to drop down a bit further and just dont think that 1056 will dry it out as much as i'd like.

when i used the Montrachet wine yeast to make apfelwein, my wife almost made me throw it outside because of the sulphur smell it put off. BUT, it doesn't affect the taste of the beverage. i would assume it would be the same with beer :confused:. also, the montrachet finished up at 0.996, but i don't know if it would dry out an ale that much.

this probably doesn't help you, but i figured i would put it out there anyway.

i brewed an imperial stout with 1056 and got it from 1.083 to 1.020 without any problems... how long has she been going?

started at 1.116 and at 1.037 now. that's what i figured with the sulfur aspect, i've made wines and they do stink fermenting, but arent sulfury wines at all. maybe the aging?

Back