Has anyone brewed a good extract Grand Cru?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi all...Im beginning to think about my seasonal fall/winter brews and while I am eager to break into the AG realm, I just havent really had the time. My question to all of you is "Has anyone brewed a good extract recipe Grand Cru?" I was looking into Papazians recipe and would love to try it but was concerned that I would miss the style mark after investing in the needed ingredients...For example recipe calls for 2# light honey...Should I avoid the grocery store brand stuff and go with a nice Tupelo or Orange Blossom??? Would Cru be better bottled in 22oz or will kegging it be just as tasty? Well thanks again for the advice/experience from all of you...Jay

The cheapest honey available will be fine since it will boil off most of the flavor anyway.

I just made that recipe - will let you know how it turns out!

I have to admit that I still don't quite understand what constitutes a "Grand Cru" style-wise. The commercial examples I have enjoyed have been all over the map.

Doesn't Grand Cru basically mean "our special beer?" It's typically higher alcohol and sometimes brewed seasonally. I think it could be literally any style.

Well then that explains why I couldnt find and guidelines at BJCP site...lol...Thanks alot Kyle...I look forward to your report...How long ya plan on aging it?

Yeah, the Grand Cru in Papazian's book is probably a Belgian Specialty Ale by BJCP.

Instead of 5 lbs of extra light DME, I did 3 lbs extra light DME and 2 lbs wheat DME. Oh, and I used Wyeast 3944.

I'm going to try 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3+ conditioning. The yeast was a slow starter, so I dunno if it'll be ready for the secondary in a week's time. I keep reading that it may not be.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I did a wit that was a combo of Papazian's and one I found on these forum's. It turned out great

Here's the recipe...

3 lbs light DME
3 lbs wheat DME

Bittering Hops (60 minutes)
¾ oz Tettnanger
¾ oz Saaz

Finishing Hops (may leave out)
¼ oz Saaz

2 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (½ @ 30 minutes, ½ @ 10 minutes)

Irish moss @ 15 minutes

½ oz crushed coriander (½ @ 10 minutes, ½ @ flameout)

½ oz bitter orange peel (½ @ 10 minutes, ½ @ flameout)

1 pinch ‘secret spice’ @ flameout (anise, cininamon, vanilla, pepper, ginger…)

5 oz priming sugar

White Labs WLP400 or WLP410

Note that I did not use the finishing hops after reading several other posts on Belgian Wit's. The white labs yeast also started very vigorously and had a major blow off in by 6.5 gal carboy

Back