Dish washer pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderBayBrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the planning stages of a single tier brew stand. I was wondering if anyone uses pumps from a dishwasher to pump wort. I would need two pumps.

I would believe the pumps could handle the temperature of the wort. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If a dishwasher pump wouldn't work then I plan to buy a couple of march pumps but I thought, hey if a cheaper pump could work just as well, why not?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Temperature-wise, it could handle it. But my guess is that the impeller is made of something that shouldn't be used in brewing due to off-flavors or some such.

I don't think that dishwasher pumps handle boiling water. Mine goes to 160F max, maybe some other machines go a bit hotter.

The difference between that type of pump and a march pump is the magnetic drive. The innards of the march pump housing are completely sealed, meaning there are no cracks or crevices around a shaft where bad bugs can grow. While it might work it would be tough to keep it sanitary.

I would also go with the march pump, it's worth it to take time to save up the extra money for them. I have a non-march pump and it has been a headache, doing it over again I'd get the March 809. It is about $129 at BrewMastersWarehouse.

Use your dishwasher pump to make a keg cleaner! Dishwasher pumps are make to spray inside your dishwasher with quite a bit of force. Not as much as a pressure washer of course but still quite a bit.

I would think they would beat the heck out of wort.

I'd recommend that when you buy your 809 you also look to see if they have, and if they do, buy some replacement heads; they cost about $25 bucks and are forever out of stock.... I have a pump that is out of service with broken threads and have been unable to find a replacement head in stock..... The heads are very sturdy, but fragile if you drop them (yeah, yeah - so don't drop them).....

So if you are lucky enough to find a replacement head - grab it (or tell me where you found one!)

One other note on dishwasher pumps. The commercial ones are usually limited to 180F. Most of the home use ones are rated at 140F, 160F is great. One of the companies (can't remember which one) I know uses a polysulphone (ide) head, so it would be OK for homebrewing. The majority of the commercial pumps cost around $80, then you have to modify the suction and discharge. All that said, you have almost the same amount as in a March or similar pump without the bush league connections. Luck - Dwain

Back