Flour and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I read about some breweries including Moonshrimp using sorghum flour in the brewing process. If this works, can I use my gfree flours and if so can I put them in my nylon sack like I do for my malted grains?

I did this in my first GF batch, an IPA, and it ended up looking like a soup, even after settling for months. I may have misfired in my approach, but this is a distinct possibility.

I don't know how (or why) Moonshrimp includes flour in their beer. It's hard to imagine that an unroasted, unmalted GF grain is going to contribute much in the way of flavor, in flour form or otherwise. Corn and wild rice do offer some flavor, but rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and amaranth do not seem to contribute much in the way of flavor unless used exclusively, in my experience.

I would not imagine a nylon sack will do much in filtering out the flour, either. I'm curious why you would consider trying it, i.e. what you would hope to get out of it.

I'm curious why you would consider trying it, i.e. what you would hope to get out of it.

Well, most everything we do here is some kind of experiment! Opaque and bread beers are made largely from flour. It certainly is possible. At the very least you could get some of the starch to convert and get some protein out of it.

But yeah, I wouldn't want to put flour in my beer either...

Back