Accidentally dry hopped wrong beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
So last week I had a double brew day doing a PSA IPA and a Belgian Tripel. Today i was supposed to dry hop the IPA and went to work racking to a secondary on top of my added 2oz of cascade. After reviewing my notes I realized I just dry hopped the wrong beer!!! I grabbed the wrong primary because I didnt see need to label it. Two batches aren't that hard to keep track of? Yeah right. So how do you think this is going to affect the taste of this beer?

Considering I've only had one tasters glass of Tripel I'm pretty upset this is deviating from the recipe. Really wanted to get this spot on. Damn. Now I have to go find more hops for the IPA

I dry hop all my beers and double dry hopped my last (and by far most delicious) tripel. If I wanted it to style I'd go to the liquor store. If I want it awesome I dry hop it. :)

Make sure you take detailed notes, including your error. My best beer is one that was designed as a one off "fluke" to over-IBU a buddy. It turned out to be one of my best, but I took detailed notes, and can replicate it. I can't keep it in the keg.

If you don't like the effect of the dry hopping you might be able to dry hop a little more with the flavor and aroma hops you used in the tripel. I'm assuming you didn't use Cascade.

Keep in mind I always recommend more dry hopping however, so take my advice with a grain of hops.

Perhaps rack the Tripel off the hops and into a secondary and age for a couple of months. Should cause the hops flavor to mellow. Will also mellow in the bottle or keg. Folks here often suggest that hop flavors fade after a couple of months.

Back