6 row Munich vs. 2 row Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruett

Reaction score
I was just reading an old thread on 2 row vs. 6 row, and they linked to a Briess page talking about the differences. The page mentions that they make both 2 and 6 row Munich malt.

Considering the very high enzyme level in 6 row pale malt, does this mean that 6 row Munich would convert better/faster than 2 row would, or does the higher kilning negate the enzyme advantage of 6 row?

I was just reading an old thread on 2 row vs. 6 row, and they linked to a Briess page talking about the differences. The page mentions that they make both 2 and 6 row Munich malt.

Considering the very high enzyme level in 6 row pale malt, does this mean that 6 row Munich would convert better/faster than 2 row would, or does the higher kilning negate the enzyme advantage of 6 row?

It seems reasonable that starting with a higher enzyme content would result in a higher enzyme content after kilning. That being said, it seems to me that there is probably a reason why all of BJCP's Munich-style lagers say "only use the highest quality 2-row malt".

Also, has anyone had a conversion problem using 2-row Munich malt?

The 6-row will have more diastatic power, however by itself, 6-row is not as full of a kernel as 2-row. What this means is that if you are doing a high adjunct beer the 6-row may be beneficial since you need the enzymes, but if you are not then the 2-row is your best bet for taste and converted sugars.

What are you making and how much Munich are you using? That 6-row Munich is for all intents and purposes a specialty malt. It would make a pretty nasty beer if you used it for a base malt. In a small addition to add a little color and toastiness it might be OK. A German Munich from Weyermann or Best would be a far better product for a base malt in a Fest beer, Altbier, Dunkel, etc. Conversion isn't really an issue here since any of the Munich malts have at least enough enzymes to convert themselves and the domestic Munich malts are best left for specialty additions if you can't find the real deal. :mug:

Back