I poured Brett dregs into 4 month old cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
Last night I was drinking an Ommegeddon with brett and glanced over at my carboy of aging cyser, glanced at the slurry in the bottom of my bottle and I got this idea. I brewed the cyser with 5 gallons apple juice, 7lbs honey, 1lb crystal 40L, and pitched nottinghams. Its been sitting four months. Last night I added an old booster pack from mr beer, yeast energizer, and the slurry from Ommegeddon, and sat the fermenter by my furnace. Does anyone have any idea what I've done? lol... not sure what to expect with this.

It may get a bit of funk (earthy, farmyard etc...) since you fed it, but no sourness. I just bottled my first funky cider, and even pitching lots of bugs at the start the funk is only moderate because apple (and honey in your case) don't have much that the primary yeast won't consume. With how high the alcohol is you may or may not get any action, Brett is alcohol tolerant, but dregs into something so strong will take time.

Ok cool... I'll let this one sit til 2012 and check it then. I wonder how the Mr. Beer booster pack will change things, the malto-dextrine specifically.

I find that pitching bugs that way is kind of hit-and-miss. Had a braggot that I did the same to and added even more lacto/brett/pedi and only a mild brett came out after spending a LONG time in fermentor.

Latest posts

Back