Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NY Strip for her, Ribeye for the chef

jdSz9ZX.jpg

Pork butt, big piece of shoulder, went on a while ago at 275. I think the little devil had some near freeze still in it. Did 2 to 1 sugar to salt with, mustard, onion powder and pumpkin pie spice. Had a lot that i trimmed off it. Hope it finishes soon.
20180407_143952.jpg

Pulled the butt today. Used an electric knife to shred it up. And wow what a pile it was. wife said, woah, when she saw it.

Finally got to try the oak and apple. They were out of hickory and cherry. Jack daniels oak and apple to be exact. Man it is a nice combination.

Gotta give an 'atta boy to Flame Boss. So family gave me an (extremely generous!) gift of a Flame Boss 300 controller last Christmas and it's awesome. Last weekend I got a request to do pork butts for a large get-together, so I decided I should get a second meat probe for the Flame Boss. Over the cooking period, the original probe showed a nice steady increase in temperature. The new probe jumped all over the place and, at one point, told me the internal temp of the meat was 1,832 F.

I emailed the company on Sunday, and first thing Monday they emailed right back saying, "We're sorry about the malfunction. Just throw that probe away, a brand new one is in the mail." and it arrived on Wednesday. Awesome customer service.

I planned on smoking yesterday...nope babysitting greatgrands....I did put the gg-son to work the grill. He's 12. His first time. Made cheeseburgers...a tad overdone, but not hockey pucks.

Then I planned for today, but we got high winds and rain...they threatened up with snow tomorrow and the lowest temps of the week...so you KNOW I'll probably end up outside a while.

The meat's been thawed (3rd day now). 1 rack of baby backs, 1/2 pork butt and a small desalinated corned beef brisket point.

I've been wanting to try out a Cherry Dr. Pepper recipe so I figured a 1/2 butt would be the way to go for this experiment.

Trouble with weather today, high wind and rain, had to improvise. Used my propane camp smoker under my back porch instead of my off-set. Not an enjoyable afternoon smoke, but stll taste great. I used a rack to hold the fish.

Started with a simple clean, and behead fish well rinsed in cool water. Added salt water brine. Not measured, just a little salty to taste. Added cilantro, green onion, garlic and thai chili to the brine and covered fish. Let sit overnight.

Rinse and stuff with fresh herbs as mentioned above. Added some stalkes of fresh lemongrass and a few slices of lime. Set in rack.

20180415_163902.jpg

2-2.5 hrs at 250 until temp was 140. Cherry and mesquite.
20180415_183449.jpg

Ohh wow, that fish sounds unreal. I haven't smoked salmon in the smoker yet, I'm a little sad about that really and I need to give it a try. Any have to have kinds of wood for salmon? I know that traditionally fish is smoked with apple I think, but having eaten a lot of smoked salmon straight hickory seems like a good idea.

Btw, I had to follow up on the pork. We have now finished it which I don't think we have ever just finished all the Frozen bags in a week before. I am wondering if it's an acquired taste and everybody is just now really used to it and craves it or if the Oak and Apple is it. Either way the Jack Daniels Oak and apple mix has been really really good. I want to say it was closer to 1/3 2/3 or maybe 60 40 but I was definitely lighter on the Jack Daniels Oak.

Thank you, fish was good, better than I expected. I admit that I didn't know how I was going to do it until I did just kind of happened, and I would do it again.

I don't have a lot of experience smoking fish, mostly salmon, steel head and tuna, but not that much. Usually turn out good, but will only be as good as your fish. I've also only hot smoked, no cold smoking experience.

Like other meat, you want a commentary wood flavor and not overpower with too much smoke. Mesquite, almond or walnut may be a bit much for most delicate fish. Fatty heart meats like salmon and tuna have more somke variability than lighter mild fish. I have liked light wood like oak and cherry and hickory. I've heard plum and citrus woods are good too but harder to come by for me.

Came home around noon with walmart packer. Didnt look particularly nice there, but was ok. Trimmed it as fast as i could and salted it. Cut it in half, leaving a decent flat and solid point. Now at 150ish. They have always cooked really fast at 275 when separated. That dual probe is awesome, so cheap to as people seek wireless. Feels very solid. Oak and apple probably till its gone.
20180421_150609.jpg

Marinaded chicken thighs gonna hit the smoker in about 10 minutes. Beans been smokin for two hours already.

The flat came off first and was a little under at 184ish. Still tasty. I trimmed it a little lean but didnt mind that. This awkward brisket wasnt ideal. Not the big nice marbled flat I normally try to get. Point came off 4 fours later at 187ish(bedtime), but it was way better. Oak and apple much more subtle on this and would use hickory and cherry over it if i had both.
20180421_182650.jpg
20180421_182854.jpg
20180421_215148.jpg
20180421_215142.jpg

On a whim (and a coincidence that took me close to my favorite butcher shop) I grabbed a nice 4.5 lb rack of beef short ribs. Im going to throw those on the WSM tomorrow while I finally get to some yard and patio work after a series of freak late-season snowstorms that dropped ten inches of snow last week!

Last edited:
Four racks of country style ribs trimmed down to St Louis style ready for the smoker tomorrow. The small trimmed bits will be ready to snack on after a couple of hours. Forecast for tomorrow is sunny and 49°F. Just right for sitting on the front porch tending the smoker.

resized281.jpg

Packaged the smoked ribs this morning. What do you do with the small vacuum sealer bags that were saved. Package the smoked trimming bits for snack packs.

resized287.jpg

Last edited:
I’d be more interested to know who’s NOT smoking week this weekend (and if there is a block button on this website).

We’ll be heading down to the local grocer here in a bit. I try not to plan and just see what happens. I’m usually running the smoker 3x - 4x a week so I just see what new local meat they have, what looks good, and go from there. If they don’t have anything that is smoker worthy, I’ve got PILES of elk, deer, ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, chukar, bear, rabbit, etc. in the freezer(s) in the garage so there’s no shortage of delicious protein around here. We usually stick with game meat during the week and then I’ll do something store bought on the weekends. As I mentioned in another thread, I’m actually more passionate about processing my own game and cooking than I am about brewing. However, the two compliment each other VERY nicely.

Ohh wow, that fish sounds unreal. I haven't smoked salmon in the smoker yet, I'm a little sad about that really and I need to give it a try. Any have to have kinds of wood for salmon? I know that traditionally fish is smoked with apple I think, but having eaten a lot of smoked salmon straight hickory seems like a good idea.

Btw, I had to follow up on the pork. We have now finished it which I don't think we have ever just finished all the Frozen bags in a week before. I am wondering if it's an acquired taste and everybody is just now really used to it and craves it or if the Oak and Apple is it. Either way the Jack Daniels Oak and apple mix has been really really good. I want to say it was closer to 1/3 2/3 or maybe 60 40 but I was definitely lighter on the Jack Daniels Oak.

Alder is good with salmon.

Check out this great list of woods for smoking. I'm committed to smoking grain to many of them for rauchbier and food too. LOL

I've only made a small dent, apple, cherry, maple, oak, and beech. I ate a three pound bag of pistachios just to save the shells. I'll use that make a red ale shortly.

http://www.dantesdevine.com/pages/Smoking-Woods.html

Last edited:
Apple, alder, cherry are the preferred woods for smoking salmon, and other fish. Some like to use a bit of mesquite, but only in very small amounts and only at the end of smoking.

I’d be more interested to know who’s NOT smoking week this weekend..

That would be me. 1st day off in 14 and spent it getting stuff for our home improvement project. Told wife brisket next weekend...assuming they're done. In the meantime drooling over y'alls pic!!

Ran a Costco pack of chicken breasts through the smoker yesterday. Overnight brine in about ¾ gallon of water with ½ cup of kosher salt and ⅔ cup of brown sugar. Each one went into a Ziploc sandwich bag. Quick and easy extra protein for my 17-year-old HS athlete with no time for a meal between school and practice.
IMG_1433.JPG

I worked in Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004). I've been to the Schlenklera many times.

I lived in Altendorf. The St. Georgenbrauerei in Buttenheim was less than 1 mile away. We ate there a couple times a month. I also have that same stein. FYI: Buttenheim is also the hometown of Levi Strauss, the jeans guy. You can take self-guided tours audio tours (cassettes in several languages) through his house. Which is painted in a stonewashed blue color.

Right next door to the St. Georgenbrauerei is a Lowenbrauerei. More of a working class crowd (loud talk and smoke filled room) that has a GREAT Kellerbier.

Fire's lit at 2AM, brisket on at 3. Nothing to do but browse hbt for the next 8 hours View attachment 568774
That sounds like fun. I like the peace and quiet of being up by myself doing something like that. However I'm not sure if I'd be drinking a beer or a coffee with that activity.

Hmmm a rauchbier is the first thought with that activity. I'm thinking apple smoked coffee beans in the coffee grinder might not be bad.

Really, I just that made up. Has anybody ever smoked coffee beans?

Edit: it would have to be a brief cold smoke to not be gross. I'd have to have some whole cream for it. Maybe a table spoon caoco nibs in the grinder.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but last weekend I smoked 4 sets of spare ribs and 1 set of back ribs. I have a slab of pork belly and 2 whole chickens that I need to do something with. Didn't have space i the smoker or time to run another smoke.

This is the weekend when the in-laws come over and help plant our tomatoes, eggplants, herbs and annuals, so I always fire up the WSM - baby backs this year.

I planned my charcoal just right, too. I stocked up like crazy during the Labor Day sale, and now I have 3/4 bag to last me 13 days until the Memorial Day sale.

This thing took 14hours at 275. Its larger than a butt but not the ginormous cut. Not sure what its called. Trimmed it, maybe a little to lean, and pulled it at 199. Jd oak and apple. Not even close as good as my simple 2 to 1 brown sugar to salt rub. The commercial rub, which was good on the ribs, was underwhelming here. The sugar, salt, mustard, pumpkin pie rub is waaaay better. This is the first thing i have ever smoked where i thought, this might need some bbq sauce. Hope it gets better. Still tasty though, ill electric knife it tomorrow.
20180512_215529.jpg

This thing took 14hours at 275. Its larger than a butt but not the ginormous cut. Not sure what its called. Trimmed it, maybe a little to lean, and pulled it at 199. Jd oak and apple. Not even close as good as my simple 2 to 1 brown sugar to salt rub. The commercial rub, which was good on the ribs, was underwhelming here. The sugar, salt, mustard, pumpkin pie rub is waaaay better. This is the first thing i have ever smoked where i thought, this might need some bbq sauce. Hope it gets better. Still tasty though, ill electric knife it tomorrow.View attachment 569963
Apple, is it underwhelming because of the meat or the rub? Can you share the rubs and quantity you use?

^^Hope you share some pics of the turkey. It sounds really good. Yeah it was definitely the rub that sucked. Which is interesting because I know people love their commercial rubs. Im starting to wonder if I just didn't use enough. That and the rubs I use have a pretty heavy amount of brown sugar and that was just lacking. For beef I only use a heavy crust of salt. I know a lot of people like pepper and add pepper, but I haven't used it in years and I don't really miss it. I'm thinking about getting back into using more pepper. That said all of the briskets and chuck roast, everything has come out splendid with a heavy crust of kosher salt. For everything else my main go to is two to one brown sugar to salt. These two rubs however are substantially better than that. Note that the ham one does not have salt in it. I don't ever put salt in a ham rub because the ham is plenty salty enough. To make that rub for other meats use a half cup salt to the one cup sugar. The other rub from the Neely's is really good too.
Screenshot_2018-05-17-03-27-27.png
2015-04-05-07-44-28.png

The earlier posts about smoked fish really piqued my curiosity. Some years ago I bought some beef jerky from a small operation up north. It tasted more like fish and was horrible. Alocal told me that the owner had smoked the beef jerkey with the fish. I understand not to do both at the same time but I don't want to smoke fish if subsequent smoking of beef will have any hint of fish. Anyone know if an MES 40 will have residual fish smell? I'd love to smoke some walleye but don't want to dedicate my smoker to just fish. Thanks for any advice!

Back