Add yeast when bottling this Dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
So I have a 1.068 OG Dopplebock that was in the primary @ 55F for 1 month. Then I racked to a secondary and it has been lagering @ 38F for another month.

I plan on bottling it soon and I am wondering if I should add some yeast to help carb. If so, the only dry yeast I've got is a Danstar Munich. Would that do or should i track down some Nottingham?

This is my first lager, btw. I did a lot of reading on this on HBT but there are some varying opinions that seem to depend on OG's and fermentation times. So here I am with my very own thread! :D

I'm interested inthis answer as well. I'm doing an imperial stout that could approach 10% abv. Wondering if I should pitch more yeast. I dont have any more of the yeast I pitched originally, my concerns are too much yeast in the bottle and if pitching a different yeast, bottle bombs due to the new yeast consuming extra sugars.

I've made plenty of lagers and never pitched additional yeast come bottling time. They usually take a tad longer to age (I let mine sit at least 2 months for an average strength; yours I'd let sit a bit longer) and they carbonate fine. If you had plenty of active yeast during the ferment, you'll be fine.

I've made plenty of lagers and never pitched additional yeast come bottling time. They usually take a tad longer to age (I let mine sit at least 2 months for an average strength; yours I'd let sit a bit longer) and they carbonate fine. If you had plenty of active yeast during the ferment, you'll be fine.

whoa, so it's not just 3 weeks to carb in the bottle like an ale?

I made this for a friend's bday gif tand told him he'd be drinking it in sept. i'll have to break the bad news to him.

You can get by with 3 weeks for it to carb, but for the flavors to develop properly it takes more time. It is a bigger beer than your average ale and bigger beers do take longer to age/mature. Sure, you could drink it after 3-4 weeks, but it will be much better in a couple of months. The belated gift will just be that much better!

Back