Plumbing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first all grain brew in a few days and i got a 2 keg system going.

My question is that i have a braid in each keggle. Is that not a good thing, should i have a false bottom or while a braid work just as fine when mashing?

Also, for my pump that I will be getting, do i need to get any fittings on it cause i see a lot of people have fittings on there pump but from what it looks like i think i can do it without any. What do you guys thing and what kind of pump would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

I'm about to do my first all grain brew in a few days and i got a 2 keg system going.

My question is that i have a braid in each keggle. Is that not a good thing, should i have a false bottom or while a braid work just as fine when mashing?

Also, for my pump that I will be getting, do i need to get any fittings on it cause i see a lot of people have fittings on there pump but from what it looks like i think i can do it without any. What do you guys thing and what kind of pump would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

You have a lot of questions. You may want to provide us with a bit more information. What kind of pump? What kind of brew stand, or, arrangement will you be placing your equipment.

Maybe even figure out where you want to go with the system before purchasing a lot of equipment.

Using a braid in each kettle is fine... Personally I dump everything into the fermenter.

Forget the pump and use gravity for your first all grain. However... March pumps are popular but I prefer peristaltic pumps... Even if they cost more.

I think you may be jumping in a little too quickly without enough research. A braid style filter for a mash tun is fine, but it should only be used in a passively heated tun. If you plan to direct fire that keg, you need a false bottom. If you think you'll use it passively, how do you plan to keep the heat? Insulation? RIMS tube? Herms recirculation?

Do some more searching on Keg mash tun, direct fired, RIMS, Herms, brew sculpture, etc.

If you just want to jump into right now, I'd recommend converting a cooler for a mash tun and hand dumping liquids via a small bucket for now.

I plain on just heating up my mash tun to a certain degree and then just holding it for a hour.

Back