Yeast - 060 American Blend vs Ringwood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I thought I would post my findings in case anyone was wondering.

I did a 10 gallon batch of IPA last month. I fermented 1/2 with Ringwood, and I fermented the other half with 060 American Blend. I happened to have both on hand, and thought I would do a little experiment. I think I recall reading that the Amer blend included Ringwood??

Anyway, both fermented pretty quickly and finished at the same FG: 1.014 from an OG of 1.062. The only difference I noted with that the ringwood was a little more cloudy than the Amer blend at kegging, and that has held true throughout. Even now, with both on tap the ringwood batch is just a little cloudy with the Amer is pretty darn clear.

As for taste, well blind taste tests with three idividuals proved it.....we can't tell the difference at all ;) . They are so similar that we can't taste any noticeable difference at all.

Not sure that will help anybody, but I thought I would post it :) .

Alan

Very interesting. I've been wanting to do a brew with amerian blend. What would you say the profil of the yeast is? And what temp I'd you fement at?

I am by NO MEANS an expert, but I have been brewed 4 out of my last 6 batches of IPA and APA's with the American Blend 060.

I use starters and find this yeast works quickly. I think it finishes clean without a lot of yeast flavors/accents, so the hops shine through. I have had a couple batches that did not go as low as I expected, but I am not sure of the cause - low pitch rate or fermenting too cold???? But the beer tastes good, so I didn't fuss to much about it.

I have been fermenting around 68F, or as close I can get. My basement in the Spring/early Summer here in NJ is about 64F.

I have an orange peel APA that I am kegging tonight, looking forward to tasting this one :) .

Alan

Back