Hallertau Hops score!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I had the good fortune this weekend of being in the right place at the right time. I was having a wonderful time sampling some great beers at Lehigh Valley Brewfest. The Beer Fest was winding down and most of the vendors were cleaning up. I went to fill my mug up one last time and got into a conversation with one of the engineers from Sam Adams. We got on the topic of homebrewing and different styles of beer we prefer. Just as I was about to move on and let him continue cleaning up he asks me "do you want some hops?" I said sure of course, expecting a 1 oz. sample illustrating some of the hops used in the Sam Adams family of beers. Little did I know he was going to throw a 1 lb. bag of hallertau hops at me. I was in disbelief. Not only was I walking around enjoying great beer all day long, but I end up going home with a bag of hops worth more than the price of admission. I'm definitly not trying to brag. I just had to tell someone who would appreciate this. SWMBO didn't quite get it.

Now my next question, Anybody have any good wintery recipes to make with Hallertau?

Congratulations on the score. Do you have the ability to do lagers? If so, I would do a german lager like schwarzbier, pilsner, or oktoberfest. I also tend to do most of my wheat beers with Hallertau, and I've even done one pale ale that featured it. I think Sam Adams does a hallertau imperial pilnser that is pretty good.

I was in the LHBS Saturday, discussing the upcoming Cigar and Brewfest in Jackson, TN with the owner.

He mentioned that the $20 admission was a steal, what with all the "goodies" that will be handed out.

:D

Back