Flawless first AG brewday!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
Well, today I figured I would give my AG equipment a full run. I elected to do a 5.5gal batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale as the recipe is pretty simple and inexpensive. well my LHBS crush is rumered to hit about 75% eff so I dove in with their crush as is, preheated the cooler with hot tap water, doughed in with 162 temp, 80 degree grain and nailed 153, dropped to 152 after 5 min and held 152 for the full hour, topped up with 5qts 175 water, vorlauf took 3qts, sparged with 175 for 10 min, collected 6.8gal, boiled 60 min, hit all my hop additions on the money, IC worked awesome, checked og at 70 and nailed 1.051! couldnt have been happier!! its in the fermentation fridge at 64 degrees. now if it will only hit the mark for FG this will finally be a flawless brewday for me, also a first AG day as well.
Thanks to everyone who has helped give me the confidance to go AG and for all the tips and pointers that helped me nail it solid!!! :rockin:

Hey, great to hear, I'm starting up a batch of Eds House also. I can never keep it in stock once its on tap for some reason.

hopefully this will fly out of my keg as well!
gonna try to knock out another brewday next sunday as well, need to brew up an AG Hefe to replace my extract batch since the keg blew today mid-boil.

Well, today I figured I would give my AG equipment a full run. I elected to do a 5.5gal batch of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale as the recipe is pretty simple and inexpensive. well my LHBS crush is rumered to hit about 75% eff so I dove in with their crush as is, preheated the cooler with hot tap water, doughed in with 162 temp, 80 degree grain and nailed 153, dropped to 152 after 5 min and held 152 for the full hour, topped up with 5qts 175 water, vorlauf took 3qts, sparged with 175 for 10 min, collected 6.8gal, boiled 60 min, hit all my hop additions on the money, IC worked awesome, checked og at 70 and nailed 1.051! couldnt have been happier!! its in the fermentation fridge at 64 degrees. now if it will only hit the mark for FG this will finally be a flawless brewday for me, also a first AG day as well.
Thanks to everyone who has helped give me the confidance to go AG and for all the tips and pointers that helped me nail it solid!!! :rockin:

Congrats man! I brewed my first AG batch last Sunday, and I would have to say, "almost flawless" I overshot my pre-boil SG and OG by 1.001, but I wont complain, just need to wait a week more for a check of the FG to see where it landed and to calculate my attenuation. It is an Ordinary Bitter recipe I calculated in Beersmith.

Once again congrats!:mug:

Well, if your first AG brew was flawless, you can only go downhill now.:D

I've been doing AG for about 16 years now, and I could count the number of flawless brews on my fingers. Admittedly, the problems I have are usually fairly minor, but I still get surprised when absolutely nothing goes wrong.

Congrats.

-a.

congrats azscoob(and schnitz) for making the jump, and good job on the flawless brewday. You owe it all to doing your homework and being prepared. Here's to many more brewdays like this. /raises pint of Old Ale/

I had my brew notes and times/temps on my clipboard, all my hop adds in seperate bags labeled with the amount, add time and what to set the timer for next, worked out great! no sweating the sched, it was all written down ahead of time! just enjoyed a beer and cleaned up stuff as I went along. I think I may make that a habbit!

FG hit 1.008 using notty, cleared up great, going to crash cool tomorrow then keg it up! nice crisp flavor in hydro sample, this will not last long so another brewday is at hand, going to do 10 gal, possibly change out c-10L for c-60L to add a bit more color. Excited about this!

The funny thing is that my first ag brew day was flawless as well, but I have to admit I don't think I have brew days like that very often. Shoot, my last brew day I dropped my thermometer into my boiling kettle and the one before that, the solder on my ic came loose.

Happy brewing and good job,
Jacob.

Back