What Do You Pay For Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
I was down at the store lately to pick up some Cooper's and thought I'd try some other stuff. Well, I was a little surprised to see that the Kriek-clone was double the cost of the Cooper's. And it didn't end there. After a bit of investigating I see that stuff on AHS can be up to 70 bucks for a can of Belgian Dutch Castle Magic!

Until recently I thought extracts were around 15-20 bucks. I see that I'm very wrong.

Just wondering what you all consider fair to pay for a decent can of extract?

-WW

Some examples:

Austin Homebrew: $2.69 - $3.49 per lb (custom quantities)
Brewmasters Warehouse: $3.33 - $3.63 per lb (3.3 lb cans)
Northern Brewer: $2.67 - $4.38 per lb (3.15 lb jugs, 6 lb jugs and various cans)
Williams Brewing: $2.36 - $2.98 per lb (6 to 8 lb pouches)

Those $70 kits are a lot more than just cans of extract. They include steeping or mashing grains and hops also.

At my LHBS I pay $10.50 for a three lb. bag of Briess DME, Munton's is a quarter more. This is the biggest cost of a batch unless I'm making a real hoppy beer with hops I buy there by the ounce. On average I figure $35-$40 per batch, about $5 a sixxer for water, fuel and all ingredients. My time is free because I LOVE doing it.

At my LHBS LME is $2.75/lb for self serve quantities, but you can buy the 15kg jug for $2.25/lb. I haven't done that yet, but probably will at some point. By harvesting yeast, doing large boils (to minimize hop requirements) and buying bulk LME and priming sugar I figure I can get the cost below $20/batch, or about $2.50/6-pack.

I haven't bought extract in a while, but I did notice the price the other day when I visited the LHBS.

$23 for a 7lb. can = $3.29/lb.

:off: The price of hops is killing me.

They are not so bad if you buy in bulk from hopsdirect.com. Sadly, I don't have the freezer space to do so myself. Take a look - they have pretty much all the common types in stock.

I was down at the store lately to pick up some Cooper's and thought I'd try some other stuff. Well, I was a little surprised to see that the Kriek-clone was double the cost of the Cooper's. And it didn't end there. After a bit of investigating I see that stuff on AHS can be up to 70 bucks for a can of Belgian Dutch Castle Magic!

Until recently I thought extracts were around 15-20 bucks. I see that I'm very wrong.

Just wondering what you all consider fair to pay for a decent can of extract?

-WW

You are confused about what you are looking at on our website. There is malt extract in a can and there are beer kits in a can. These are different items.

The kit you refer to Belgian Dutch Castle Magic is a very large amount of fresh ingredients that makes a very complex beer that is over 10% alcohol.
You really can't compare a canned kit with a fresh ingredient kit.

Our fresh extract (not canned) is $2.79 per pound.

Forrest

You are confused about what you are looking at on our website. There is malt extract in a can and there are beer kits in a can. These are different items.

The kit you refer to Belgian Dutch Castle Magic is a very large amount of fresh ingredients that makes a very complex beer that is over 10% alcohol.
You really can't compare a canned kit with a fresh ingredient kit.

Our fresh extract (not canned) is $2.79 per pound.

Forrest

As stated above, a higher ABV brew will cost you more because of the fermentables you have to provide. How I boost my extract kits is buying a couple lbs of two row, crushing and doing a little partial mash prior to continuing with extract recipe. BTW... austin home brew... your "DA BOMB" wish you were closer to i-35, i make the trip from dallas to san antonio about once every 3 months.

MoreBeer's DME can get as low as $2.30 @ LB delivered, IF your total order is over $60.00.

Pogo

austin home brew... your "DA BOMB" wish you were closer to i-35, i make the trip from dallas to san antonio about once every 3 months.

It's only about 10 minutes off of the interstate.

I buy mine from Jay's Brewing Supplies: Welcome . Derek, the guy that bought the business from Jay, is inbetween stores right now, but he delivers my supplies to my door for free! I guess I don't live too far from him. For a 3.3 can it's between 9 and 10 bucks, delivered. He's openning his shop about 15 min's from my house really soon. I can't wait as I have never set foot in a homebrew store before.

I went all grain over a year ago when extract prices went through the roof, I encourage "all y'all" to do the same!

If you went AG over a year ago then post in the All-Grain section and leaves us alone. We all have our reasons why we brew extracts and why there are different sections on the board. :mad:

I paid 15.60 for a 3.33# can of Muntons today from LHBS. I think it's the last time I order my extract through them.

:off: The price of hops is killing me.

:off: Solution:

DONT BUY HOPS AT A HBS! Online or otherwise. Buy them from Freshops or Hops Direct. You will pay UNDER $2 an ounce in most cases... $2 an ounce is the upper limit. They are fresh from the farms, great customer reviews. I bought all of my 2009 hops from Freshops, next year I am using HopsDirect, they are a little cheaper and just as reputable.

3.3lb @$10.95 at a LHBS. Im currently collecting/fab'in equipment for AG, how much of a savings can I expect?

3.3lb @$10.95 at a LHBS. Im currently collecting/fab'in equipment for AG, how much of a savings can I expect?

You can pretty easily pay $1 - $1.50 per pound for grain. So, $10-$15 per batch. Buy hops at HopsDirect for under $2 an ounce... and you have yourself many beers within the $20 range!

Some of you are getting a steal! A 3 lb. bag of DME at my LHBS is $17.75. I started ordering on-line from Morebeer and the same bag is just $11.25. Whats worse, at the LHBS, they buy in bulk at an even lower price and then divide it into 3 lb. ziploc bags themselves.

Fat_Guy_Brewing, that's a terrible price for DME. I have a friend who owns a winery and thus has an agreement with LD Carlson so he orders me 33lb. jugs of LME for $45.

Just got my 50# bag of Briess pilsen dme from midcountymalt (The Country Malt Group)

It was a bit of work to portion it into 3# freezer baggies, but it ended up being $118 shipped, or $2.36 a pound.

I needed to call to order, as I didn't see it in their catalog.

cmdrico How do you store the 33lb. buckets? Do they need to be refridgerated or can I just leave it out at room temp? It is a real money saver and I would like to start buying bulk LME.

Just got my 50# bag of Briess pilsen dme from midcountymalt (The Country Malt Group)

It was a bit of work to portion it into 3# freezer baggies, but it ended up being $118 shipped, or $2.36 a pound.

I needed to call to order, as I didn't see it in their catalog.

This is a mad-crazy deal in the range of AG prices for the malt bill. If they sold wheat I'd be able to make my WPA for around $30 including the water and propane! I may have to make a call to these fine folks.

cmdrico How do you store the 33lb. buckets? Do they need to be refridgerated or can I just leave it out at room temp? It is a real money saver and I would like to start buying bulk LME.

I just got my first 33lb. jug of amber LME. I'm just going to store it in my basement with the rest of my brew supplies. I'm not sure how long it keeps (anyone have input on this), so I'm going to try and use it as quickly as I can.

Back