Help me name my brewery (and come up with a logo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Ok, all, you've helped others in need, now how about you creative types give me a hand? Pretty Please?

I'm having a damnedest time coming up with a name for my brewery, and I lack any creativity (not to mention computer skills) to come up wtih a logo. I'm going to list my ideas thus far, you guys pick out what you think is decent. I don't want to make this a poll, though, because I'd like suggestions, as well, because probably your suggestions will be better than my ideas.

Here's my lame ideas so far:

1. I'm a huge Parrothead, so possibly Changes in Lattitudes Brewing Company

2. The road that I live on was once called Ridge Road, thus Ridge Road Brewery

3. My house was originally built as a cheese factory (yes, I live in wisconsin) so maybe something like that, but nothing comes to my feeble mind:eek:

4. All of my fermentation takes place in a walk-in cooler in my basement (leftover from the cheese factory days) and all of my ingredients are stored there as well, so, perhaps Beneath the Street Brewing Company.

5. There is a cemetary across the street from my house , so perhaps The Boneyard Brewery

Please tell me which you like, and please post any ideas you have. And, once a name is decided upon, if you artsy types want to take a stab at some type of logo, I'd be happy to compensate the person that comes up with the one I like best. Said compensation could take any form, be it cash, homebrew, local commercial brews, whatever.

Thank you all in advance!!!!

I do like the Bone Yard idea. Boneyard Brewing has a certain ring to it. You could also have a theme then for the title of your beers- Grim Reaper Stout, Six Feet Under IPA, etc.

sause said:
How about Electric Avenue Brewing? Electric BoneYard Brewery? I personaly like the Bone Yard one.

You obviously remember what I do for a living. I forgot to mention that.:)

No electric avenue, though. I hated that song:cross:

olllllo said:
Bernie:

Do you know/can you research the name of the cheese factory?

The cheese factory was called Luthie Cheese. It was built in 1893. I have a picture, circa 1920s, of all the area farmers pulled up to the factory in their horse-drawn wagons loaded with milk. It's pretty cool.

Yooper Chick said:
Hmmmm, how about Skunky Dog Brewing Company? ;)

LOL! Appropriate, considering what my mutt got into last night, but I don't think the word "skunky" ought be used on a beer label.:D

If you're German...

Luthie's Käsefabrik & Brauerei : Luthies Cheese Factory & Brewery
Bernies Käsefabrik & Brauerei

.... and start doing this: http://www.leeners.com/cheesemaking.html

or

Luthie's Käsehaus Brauerei : Luthie's Cheese House & Brewery
Bernies Käsehaus Brauerei
Bernies Käsekopf Brauerei : Bernie's Cheesehead Brewery

What nationality are you?

Try an ethnic twist: http://www.freetranslation.com/

Put your fav's into this and translate.

Bumpity-Bump

I've decided to call it Ridge Road Brewing Company, and I want to use the old picture of the house in the logo somehow. This is the pic, circa 1914-ish:

LuthieCheese300264.jpg

I'd really like to use that old pic, it just seems to give it a historic twist, and I like history. Any ideas???

I played around with some photo software and this is what my limited talents came up with:

Logo2.jpg

Comments? suggestions? Thanks.

I like it Bernie.
You're going to have to think about how you're going to use it.
How will this be used on a bottle label? Where will the beer name go, etc?

Sometimes those decisions force you to change the proportions of the "logo". For example, the example above is rectangular. What changes would have to be made if you decided on a round or oval label. What if you wanted to make this even more rectangular? I presume that the text would have to be moved up and the bottom cropped. Those types of decisions.

I'd also see if you can change the sepia to other colors in case you want to work with some other color palettes.

I really am glad that you chose something that connects you to the idea. The inclusion of the Cheese Factory and the history are going to make some decisions easier. I think your font choice is great.

The space on the right could have a (small) stylized hop bud and wheat/barley grain cluster added in... possibly with some transparency, visually confirming the transformation of the cheese factory into a brewery?

AAA Brewing

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere Brewing Co.

I like the name of the song Defying Gravity, it seems appropriate but I don't know if Defying Gravity is a little weak for you?

I like the brewery name - as for the logo I would suggest this: Take the picture of the house and pay some graphic designer a bill or so and have them design you a label based upon/closely resembling the picture... It will cost ya a little bit, but would look great if you had the right person with the right skills do this. Plus you could incorporate it into a label easily.

Here is an example of the local brewery's one location and their label based upon their brewery site. First pic is the building of the brewery/pub and the second is a pint glass with their pale ale label - ignore the logo at top and concentrate on the building at the bottom of the label. They use a similar label for all of their "flagship" beers - they simply change the color and beer name, etc.

Building:
5841-abc_hburg_front_800x600.jpg

Building "Mocked Up"/Drawn on Label:
5841-abc_paleale_800x600.jpg

A graphic designer should be able to 'mock up' the building (your cheesefactory home from the picture you posted) and the horsedrawn carriages of milk pretty easily from your picture. And could incorporate wheat and other brewing related items into the picture. Like I said, it will cost you, but IMO will look a bunch better than just using that sepia-toned photo. The photo isn't bad, I just envision things could be much better!

Good luck and great name! :)

Latest posts

Back