Freekin' rodents!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I needed to rip some boards for the new kegger. So, I go down to the pole barn to drag the table saw up to the house. What is it with rodents and rubber? How many chunks of copper in your snoot does it take to realize IT AIN'T FOOD!

2113-img_1281.jpg

Last year, it was 5 of 8 spark plug cables in the RV.

We have a huge problem where I work with rabbits that chew the plug wires on our vehicles.
I'm wondering if rodents do that as part of their nest building ritual. Or maybe to grind down their teeth.

You can make a really good mouse trap out of a 5 gallon bucket filled with a gallon or two of water a wire hanger and a beer can.....;)

RichBrewer said:
We have a huge problem where I work with rabbits that chew the plug wires on our vehicles.
I'm wondering if rodents do that as part of their nest building ritual. Or maybe to grind down their teeth.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for being a Cliff Claven here, but rabbits aren't rodents. They're lagomorphs. Sorry, couldn't help myself....:eek:

BTW a little automotive anti-freeze should do the trick with the mice:)

wihophead said:
You can make a really good mouse trap out of a 5 gallon bucket filled with a gallon or two of water a wire hanger and a beer can.....;)

So you gonna post the details in the DIY?:D I would like that one.

Cheers

Edit: Oh yeah Bernie you are such a Claven it's not even funny, I bet you even know the Buffalo Theory by heart!

...JK......

.22 lr w/cb caps (super sub-sonic rounds)
lawn chair
nvg's
cooler o' brew/ or portable keg
:rockin:

it might be ground squirrels(chipmunks) these little bastidges wreak havoc w/ my parents vehicles every time they go away for a couple weeks.

Just had rats eat my wifes main wiring harness to her brand new car. Luckily I work for the dealership, so it got "warrantied". In the mean time, yes, peanut butter and poison go great together. Missed the cheeky bastard with about 30 traps, so now I can smell him in the friggin garage walls, but at least the wires are safe yet again!

I'm fairly certain they're Wood rats (AKA Pack rats). Had one in the garage a couple years ago that stole & ate SEVEN bricks of rat poison before dying. That one emptied a tool box; wrenches, sockets, bolts. Even had a couple beer cans. Obviously, a Red-necked Pack Rat.

So, today I was checking out the RV for Hopmadness next weekend. All of the spark plug cables have been chewed again! This despite the poison I put out (it was all eaten), the red pepper on top of the engine and the rodent repellent under the RV. I'm really glad it has metal fuel lines.

Do you live in the country to get rodent populations like that, David? If so, what about getting a couple of farm cats? You feed them a bit of dry cat food and they supplement with whatever they can find, if you know what I mean. Just make sure they're fixed. I know too many people that have to occasionally thin the herd. Doesn't seem quite fair to make them survive under harsh conditions and then execute them when they become successful.

Back