30A GFCI power cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested in one , I have been looking for one and that's a good price.
Pm me with info, when can you get them and how much to ship?

That is the one I have then and I paid 60 for it. It is a 10 microsecond, where code is 5. I still use it. In europe, code is higher, like 10ish

I just scored a brand new 30A GFCI power cord for $25 at my local electronics store. If anyone is interested, they have 5 more left at that price plus shipping. They also have a lot of hard to find electronic parts. :mug:

http://hosfelt.com/contents/en-us/d702.html

Well I ordered one, they don't specify shipping charge so I hope they don't beat me up too bad. Thanks!

The shipping shouldn't be that bad to Michigan from Ohio. Let me know. If I find any more deals at hosfelt's, I'll post them. Cheers

I have been a longtime lurker here, just starting to gather parts for something similar to johnodon's control box. I joined now just to say "thank you." I didn't want to permanently install a spa panel in the basement, so this is going to save me a pair of receptacles and the panel and a power cord. Thanks again.

Well I ordered one, they don't specify shipping charge so I hope they don't beat me up too bad. Thanks!

Thanks for the find! I ordered one early this morning as well and requested the parcel shipping price from OH to me it was $14. So it's still way cheaper then the normal price and cheaper even then the 50a spa panel I was going to buy.

My brother lives in Bowling Green... wonder how far away they are from him?

Shippinng to Syracuse was under $14 and very fast - about 3 days and the box was on my doorstep. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat.

Shippinng to Syracuse was under $14 and very fast - about 3 days and the box was on my doorstep. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat.

That's weird because I ordered on March 8th. Haven't received anything but that my order was automatically processed. I emailed them to let them know to apply the appropriate shipping to my order no. No reponse. No amount has been applied to my card. I've also emailed them request an update but no response. I'm kind of at a loss.

I ordered and got a confirmation but they never quoted my shipping in the e-mail. I got it in about 3 days and they charged 14.00 for shipping. That's fair, this thing is a beast. I probably would have spent this much just on the wire so it is a great find.

brewery_003.jpg

That's weird because I ordered on March 8th. Haven't received anything but that my order was automatically processed. I emailed them to let them know to apply the appropriate shipping to my order no. No reponse. No amount has been applied to my card. I've also emailed them request an update but no response. I'm kind of at a loss.

Received an update today :) Looking forward to the part for sure! Gotta get my electric going.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Hosfelt Electronics <[email protected]> wrote:
Chris,

Yes we will. We were short handed due to the flu. Your order will ship today.

Sara
Customer Service

My basement & equipment won't be ready for e-brewing for months, but I almost feel like I should buy this now while the getting is good...S&H might even be a tad lower as I'm only in SW Ohio

That was my thought too. I'm no where near ready for e-brewing, but I've heard these cords are hard to come by and given the price, I couldn't pass it up. $25 for this and be able to use existing 220 outlet, or go buy and install spa panel or GFCI breaker in the main panel for three times the cost and tons more effort? Easy decision....

Can someone who has purchased one of these please post a pic of the plug end so I can see if my 220 outlet is good as is or if I need to rewire.

I have no camera, but it fits a standard four prong US dryer outlet rated for 30 amps - look for NEMA 14-30 in wikipedia to see the configuration - one ground pin at the top, two vertical blades at the side, and an upside-down looking L at the bottom. If you have a 3 prong dryer outlet (like I do) it will not fit.

I'm running a new circuit for this - unfortunately it's going to take almost 50 feet of 10/3 to reach my intended brewing location.

If you have a 3 prong plug, shut off the breaker and take the receptacle apart, you might find the 4th wire grounded to the box or hanging out.

When I got mine, the hot end was bare wire, you need to but a female plug end.

If you have a 3 prong plug, shut off the breaker and take the receptacle apart, you might find the 4th wire grounded to the box or hanging out.

When I got mine, the hot end was bare wire, you need to but a female plug end.

Or you can wire it directly into your project box/panel.

I'm in the same boat with a three prong dryer outlet and would be looking at same distance to run a new circuit. I've already taken the outlet apart and there was no separate ground. I will have to look at running a new circuit (which i'd of had to do for a spa panel anyway) or perhaps wiring it to a matching three prong plug and attaching the ground to the metal outlet housing, since that is grounded to the main panel.

I'm in the same boat with a three prong dryer outlet and would be looking at same distance to run a new circuit. I've already taken the outlet apart and there was no separate ground. I will have to look at running a new circuit (which i'd of had to do for a spa panel anyway) or perhaps wiring it to a matching three prong plug and attaching the ground to the metal outlet housing, since that is grounded to the main panel.

IS there such thing as a three to four prong adapter? Something to simulate this picture?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/spa-panel-wiring-dummies-266751/#post3228528

P-J or someone else more knowledgeable may want to chime in about that though. I am not an electrician or play one on tv.

Based on my interpretation of the diagram it would be easier to just buy a three prong dryer cord, cut the 4 prong plug off of the in-line GFCI cord, and splice the neutral and ground on that cord to the neutral from the 3 prong cord.

I would of course do this in a junction box, not just wire nut together and tape the crap out of it. (my job takes me in a lot of basements and I've seen some pretty crazy home wiring)

With the one I received, the brown and black are the 2 hots, the blue is the common and the green is the ground. As far as I can figure from all the research I did was you don't hook up the common or use it. The common is only used for 120 volt circuits and I can tell you first hand, if it's grounded the GFI will trip. It took me a long time to grasp that a ground and a common are not the same even if they hook up to the same place in your supply panel. You have to think of the common as a return circuit, not a ground.

I'll take you word on it... I understand neutral and ground are not the same, it just looked like the two were tied to the same bus in the spa panel, but upon lookin harder it looks like they may be two separate ones at different heights. I'll just be happy if it's doable to run it safely from existing 3 prong dryer outlet.

Beerfly said:
With the one I received, the brown and black are the 2 hots, the blue is the common and the green is the ground. As far as I can figure from all the research I did was you don't hook up the common or use it. The common is only used for 120 volt circuits and I can tell you first hand, if it's grounded the GFI will trip. It took me a long time to grasp that a ground and a common are not the same even if they hook up to the same place in your supply panel. You have to think of the common as a return circuit, not a ground.

actually, won't I need the neutral then? Thee will be several items in the control panel running off of 110. Hopefully PJ can chime in.

If you want the GFI to work and have 240 and 120 I am quite sure you will need 4 wires from your supply panel. If it were me, I would wire my 240v with the GFI from your 3 prong outlet. For the 120 volt circuits I would run a separate circuit from a single breaker in your main panel or a near by outlet to plug in to. It would be cheaper than running a new 240v circuit and less hassle than running a single common wire in conduit.

I had that thought too. I do have a 110 outlet right in the same area, I was just looking to minimize the number of cables. Since I am looking to run a high output exhaust fan with built in light from my control panel, I may have to have the separate 110 just to stay under the 30 amp limit.

If you want the GFI to work and have 240 and 120 I am quite sure you will need 4 wires from your supply panel.

I don't think that's entirely true. I've seen many three prong dryers with internal lights and I don't think the lights run on 220v ;) There's just no individual "ground" instead neutral. When you have a four wire you ground to the dryer chassis. I think though that technically by today's standards they always want a ground for electrocution issues.

I don't think that's entirely true. I've seen many three prong dryers with internal lights and I don't think the lights run on 220v ;) There's just no individual "ground" instead neutral. When you have a four wire you ground to the dryer chassis. I think though that technically by today's standards they always want a ground for electrocution issues.

You are dealing with a GFI so eliminating the ground is not an option.

Just got my cord today...this thing is awesome! In case anyone was wondering on the length, mine is 17 feet long. Considering just getting the 10-4 cable alone would cost more than this plug, I think this is one hell of a deal. Here are some pics...

image-140202517.jpg

image-15113168.jpg

image-783313654.jpg

image-3173329858.jpg

image-2944428872.jpg

I'm lucky enough to know someone in Steubenville, OH who said they could pick this up for me if I ordered one. So I just got a 30amp GFCI cable for about $27.
Assuming this thing works like it's supposed to, I might have to buy another one or two at that price just to have a backup/lifetime supply :)

I'm glad everyone is happy with the GFCI cords. Hosfelts are awesome people to deal with... I'll post anymore good brewing deals I find. Cheers:mug:

A definate tip of the hat and glass to you ! Much cheaper than a 30 amp Square D GFI breaker or a spa panel from HD or Lowes. Just ordered one myself.

Back