For all of IT people out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't be funny if it weren't also mostly true.

We have a lady here who lost an email and asked me where it went. Understand that we are moving of our former corporate Exchange server, so she was confused as to whether it was in the Archive or what. Anyway, she keeps her "Open Items" in the Deleted Items folder, because it's so easy to file when you can just click and hit delete.

"They've been there for years and I've never had a problem until now."

Ask yourself. If you wanted to keep an email for later, where is the LAST place you ought to put it?? "I kept my handgun in the kid's dresser for years and never had a problem..."

Anyway, she keeps her "Open Items" in the Deleted Items folder, because it's so easy to file when you can just click and hit delete.

I'm afraid I can't cast stones at this one, because I did something similar. We were getting ready to move from rented office space into our main building down the street. The company hired movers to do the heavy lifting and transport over the weekend, but on Friday we all had to pack up our cubicle contents into boxes and label them so they'd end up in the right cubes at the destination.

Somehow I had ended up with two wastebaskets, so I packed stuff to be moved (including a $200 spool of coax cable) into them and labeled them. Come Monday morning I found both baskets, empty, in my new cubicle.

For my sins I was the last person to get a network connection that week.

Dave

I'm afraid I can't cast stones at this one, because I did something similar. We were getting ready to move from rented office space into our main building down the street. The company hired movers to do the heavy lifting and transport over the weekend, but on Friday we all had to pack up our cubicle contents into boxes and label them so they'd end up in the right cubes at the destination.

Somehow I had ended up with two wastebaskets, so I packed stuff to be moved (including a $200 spool of coax cable) into them and labeled them. Come Monday morning I found both baskets, empty, in my new cubicle.

For my sins I was the last person to get a network connection that week.

Dave

At least you get your trash emptied. I'm now a cube dweller and have to set my trash outside the cube wall so that the custodian has to trip over it and even then it doesn't get emptied when he comes through.

I have a similar issue... but it's not that my trash doesn't get emptied, it's that *every single day*, my trash can is put back somewhere other than where it was picked up.

I've come to the conclusion that this is intentional. Why, I haven't figured out.

Wow. You guys have other people empty your trash? Not only do I empty my trash can, but sometimes I refill the TP and mop the bathrooms. (not in a long while, but for a while our janitor was laid off and everyone had to help or sht in squalor).

I have a similar issue... but it's not that my trash doesn't get emptied, it's that *every single day*, my trash can is put back somewhere other than where it was picked up.

I've come to the conclusion that this is intentional. Why, I haven't figured out.

My daughter's boyfriend worked for a contract after-hours housekeeping service and he says that's a trick they use to make sure the clients know they've been there. If a housekeeper does too good a job and puts everything back where it was, the client starts to wonder if he even showed up. Clients don't always notice that the shelves have been dusted and the coffee stains have been shampooed from the carpet. Then again, the housekeeper can come in and just move things around and the client thinks he vacuumed the floor.

Dave

Well I guess that makes some sense. I've never had a problem with them not picking it up, and do notice that they do a good job. But I can see where not everyone probably does.

It wouldn't be funny if it weren't also mostly true.

We have a lady here who lost an email and asked me where it went. Understand that we are moving of our former corporate Exchange server, so she was confused as to whether it was in the Archive or what. Anyway, she keeps her "Open Items" in the Deleted Items folder, because it's so easy to file when you can just click and hit delete.

"They've been there for years and I've never had a problem until now."

Ask yourself. If you wanted to keep an email for later, where is the LAST place you ought to put it?? "I kept my handgun in the kid's dresser for years and never had a problem..."

Do you happen to work for Merck? I swear I had the same issue with a user when I was doing IT support for them. We just could not get through to this one lady that the stuff in the deleted items folder is going to be, well, DELETED eventually. She kept EVERYTHING in there and was pissed at us when her "e-mail just disappeared". After having to deal with multiple non-issues with her, I just marveled at the fact that she was even able to put on clothes in the morning. Her resolution history over the course of a couple weeks looked something like this:

1. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
2. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
3. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
4. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
5. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
6. No issue found, suggested further training in $program
22. No issue found, suggested further training in $program

It got to the point that we'd just immediately kick her right over to deskside support so that we wouldn't have to deal with her on the phone. Not to mention the fun screams you'd hear from random support people when she'd call. "*ring ring* OH ****! IT'S $USER! *ring ring*"

We just could not get through to this one lady that the stuff in the deleted items folder is going to be, well, DELETED eventually.

That last word was the problem - eventually. That delayed the negative reinforcement of watching her email evaporate because SHE moved it there.

Stupid should hurt, but some people just won't make the connection unless it's immediate.

Dave

Back