Dry Hopping technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeeight

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in my primary that I'm planning to dry hop for 10 days, per the recipe.

It's going to spend 7-10 days in the primary, and then come off the trub into the secondary, at which point I'll be adding 1.5 oz of pellet hops for 10 days before it goes into bottles.

The question is: should I use a grain bag for the hops, or just drop them in loose?

I searched the forums, realizing that this has probably been discussed ad nauseum over the years, but couldn't seem to find a thread about it...

Also, I'm a bit of a noob still, so if I'm going about this all wrong, feel free to point that out too!

I've prefer adding loose hops to the carboy after primary fermentation has finished. The hops and other solids get left behind when transferring. Also, no need to secondary. Plus adding a bag through the carboy opening is tough - its not a very big opening. I use a sanitized funnel and just pour the hops into the carboy.

If you opt to dry hop in the keg - I would use a bag or stainless herb ball. That way you can remove the hops without having to transfer the beer to another container.

I've done both methods and prefer the first due to less stuff to clean and deal with, but both work well.

I've prefer adding loose hops to the carboy after primary fermentation has finished. The hops and other solids get left behind when transferring. Also, no need to secondary. Plus adding a bag through the carboy opening is tough - its not a very big opening. I use a sanitized funnel and just pour the hops into the carboy.

If you opt to dry hop in the keg - I would use a bag or stainless herb ball. That way you can remove the hops without having to transfer the beer to another container.

I've done both methods and prefer the first due to less stuff to clean and deal with, but both work well.

What he said.

Back