Must have beers for a wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
SWMBO and I booked the venue where we will be getting married next summer. Part of the deal is we provide the alcohol which will be served. While the drink menu will focus primarily on wine, I would like to put together a beer selection of 2-4 different beers. I would like to avoid BMC, however, it should be known that a good chunk of the guests (who will be drinking beer) are BMC drinkers. So if I decide not to bother including BMC, I need a substitute which will satisfy the less refined palate. All suggestions welcome :cross:

I say buy the BMC for them and get yourself and anyone else who wants it your favorites. Your going to go through a lot of trouble trying to find beers you think they will love and will get annoyed to see 1000 bottles with one drink out of them. I'm getting giddy just thinking of the secret stash of great beers for you and a few special others.

+1 on supply of BMC for the masses. save the goods stuff for those who can appreciate it!

you're not likely to make any converts

Just get a keg of Bud Light. Grab an American hefe for those BMC drinkers who "think" they're refined. Then put two of your absolute favorites on tap.

no taps, its gotta be all bottles unfortunately.

So assuming I include Bud light on the list. What good beers should I include?

While a good chunk of the beer drinkers are BMC people, there is still a group of beer snobs I would like to appeal too (myself included).

im thinking maybe

1.) IPA
2.) wit
3.) trogs doppelbock or three philosophers

If you don't want to provide BMCs, don't. Its your wedding and a time for you to be happy. Sure, you do want your guests to feel uncomfortable. But if not providing Bud light is really going to dampen their experience at such a joyous occasion, than you shouldn't care what they think in the first place.

As far as the selection goes, you can't go wrong with pale ales and wheat beers. BMC drinkers don't seem to mind the transition in my experience.

I am brewing a rasberry/pomegranate stout for my brother-in-laws wedding comming up in July. He is a homebrewer as well, so its my little present to him. I say you buy the bud light, and have some of your own homebrew there for you and some special others. Plus, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you brew it yourself vs buying 3 different types of micro brew. At $10 a six pack, I have a hard time NOT brewing it myself! :mug:

By the way, Congrats on the wedding!

Are you thinking homebrew, or commercial brews?

If commercial, I'd go with:
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Boulevard Wheat (if you can get it in NY)
Dundee IPA
And some Labatt Blue for the BMC drinkers

If you're brewing it:
Belgian Wit
Irish Red Ale
Brown Ale/Porter
Pale Ale

For my recent wedding party I brewed up a batch of an American wheat for the BMC drinkers, made a back sweetened batch of Apfelwein for those who like sweet drinks and for the drinkers I brought along a 10% ABV IIPA Simcoe SMASH... Everything went over very well.

Back