When Life Gives You Lemons....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
Toss them in a fermenter!!!

My wife is making lemoncello, which is basically lemon zest, vodka, and simple syrup. That being said, I have 24 lemons, minus the zest, sitting in my fridge. They won't last but a day or two w/o the rind, so I have to do something quick. I can't decide between trying to make a summer shandy style of beer or making a hard lemonade. I've seen a lot of lemon wine recipes on the net, but with mixed reviews.

Any thoughts or recipes from you experts?

Make lemonade. Go buy a sixer of a fairly neutral pale beer. Mix with until you find a balance you like.

That's shandy.

Shandy is a beer cocktail, like Black & Tan, Black Velvet, Michelada or Flip.

:D

Bob

I'm with Bob on this one. Fermented citrus has never appealed to me. I'd make lemonade, lemon soda, or a really citrusy ginger ale. If I wanted an alcoholic beverage, I'd add vodka, rum, beer, etc at serving time.

A guy in my club made a beer with lemons and honey. It was interesting... I don't think I'd ever make it, and it was a little thick for a lawnmower beer, but I can see it being refreshing on a hot day.

I've made lemon soda a few times. 24 lemons, depending on their size, will make 3-4 gallons of soda. Make sure to strain the juice well, or the pulp can clog the poppet. Some water, simple syrup to taste, and a bunch of ice in a keg (and maybe a campden tablet), hit it with 30psi, and shake the snot out of it for five minutes. Great for summer, and kids love it.

Back