Just Tried Sierra Nevada 2009 ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They had the "Early Spring Beer" at the grocery store down the street yesterday so I had to grab it.

The website still says its coming soon.

I thought it was pretty good, it was pretty high on the hops but was malty at the same time, it almost tasted like it was bottled too early or something, I attribute that to the fact that its unfiltered. All in all it was a good PA.

Anyone else try it yet?

Had a couple last night. Pretty good stuff. Also had a couple Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA's. This was VERY good. At 7.9% ABV, I found no "hot" alcohol taste, and it was well balanced, with LOTS of hops. To my way of thinking, Sierra Nevada can do no wrong.

drinin a torpedo now. we have gone through a case since friday....SWMBO has aquired a taste for it, she has only had 2 of those 24... but it is goin faster now none the less.

the esb was good too, but i dont see myself buying it unless the store has no torpedo....that 7.2% will getcha pretty quick.

Dude...I'm drinking the ESB right now. It's damned good! I was going to grab the torpedo again, but I decided to go with something different seeing as how I've never had an ESB before. I'm getting more and more into sierra nevada every time I buy their products.

Oh, and I just tried bigfoot the other day. It's delicious, and the picture on the front of the bottle is hilarious!

Just bought the ESB a couple nights back. I'll do a review on it sometime, but it was decent.

I thought this year's ESB was pretty good compared to years past. Very dry and hoppy. Had a sample at one of the local beer retail outlets. Also had the Bigfoot which I had already been told was fantastic. I did not disappoint. Torpedo os phenominal, and can't believe it is a year round now! Good things are ahead for this year from SN. Can'r wait for the Chico Estate Wet Hop in August!

I heard Torpedo was going year round, the SA website says the same. Nonetheless I'm still on a mission to locate some in the next day or two.

Yep, it's a new year round offering. They've taken their normal IPA off the bottling line and now it's a limited release/brewery only thing. Fine by me as it was just a ho-hum sort of IPA. The torpedo is a much better brew IMHO, and I'm happy they've brought another great beer into the mix.

As far as the ESB goes, I like it but have always though it was a bit too hoppy(?)...for an ESB. I would have liked to see a more malty profile and a bit more body to go along with those hops. However, it does have that trademark Sierra Nevada taste so I suppose it's right on the mark for their product line.

I love SN stuff, but to my palate so much of their stuff blends together in my mind. It's essentially the same hop profile across all their beers, with minor variations. It's a delicious profile, but it all sort of blurs together for me.

I love SN stuff, but to my palate so much of their stuff blends together in my mind. It's essentially the same hop profile across all their beers, with minor variations. It's a delicious profile, but it all sort of blurs together for me.

At least they've thrown in some Kent Goldings and Challenger hops in this one...

It's been in the mixed sixer fridge of one of my beerstores, I've had a few over the last few weeks...pretty tasty. To me it almost has an Iced Tea taste...not bad like tannins, but kinda refreshing.

That's a good way of putting it Revvy. I was trying to figure out how to describe some of the flavors in there. I definitely get iced tea in there too.

I just picked up a 12 pack of the SN ESB. Good stuff. I drank a few yesterday while I was brewing my own ESB for inspiration.

Interesting grainbill though...
alcohol content 5.9% by volume
yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 14.4 Plato
bittering hops English Challenger
ending gravity 3.6 Plato
bitterness units 45-46
finishing hops English Challenger & East Kent Goldings
malts Two-row Pale, Maris Otter & Crystal
dry hopping English Challenger, U.S. Challenger, U.S. Goldings, & Crystal

That flavor comes from a combination of MO, 2 row and Crystal only....I thought there would be something else that gave it that flavor, like Vienna, or aromatic, or something else.

Back